Bateson Trailers - Recommended or not?

KJW

Jan 21, 2009
Somewhere too rainy
Question in title really - what are people's views? The one I have my eye on is about 2 years old. I've not viewed it yet and don't know any more details but just wondered if anyone has strong opinions on the make generally.

Thanks!

i'm doing the bateson vs IW debate myself just now!
here's my pros and cons so far.... if anyone wants to add feel free :D

IW pro's -
- tried, tested and trusted make
- hold value well
- easy resale
- nice a stable to tow

con's -
- loud and rattley
- not great suspension - old stule - gives hard ride for horse
- have to buy separate tack box if you want to store in trailer
- v stealable
- if dark colour can be v hot inside

bateson pro's -
- new modern independant suspension
- lighterweight
- light colours means cooler inside for horse
- tack storage in trailer already (if larger models)
- less stealable
- tow well (i've towed lots of models in the US when i lived there and all towed well)

cons -
- maybe difficult to re-sell as less popular

my only ummmmm is about the resale at the mo as if i ever needed/wanted to sell i know i culd shift the IW on really quickly... other thatn that i'd say bateson win ;)

I'd say a con for a bateson was the colour, bit petty i know but i always want a nice colour!:p:eek:
i see what your saying about cooler, but the batesons look scruffy really easy, and the white can go sort of manky greeny/yellow & fades

spose if you washed it regualy it would be fine?

personally, i prefer the good old ifor williams:D

Crikey Posie - glad I asked as you are far better informed than me! I'm not too worried about re-sale value as I tend to hang on to things until they fall to bits. :eek:

Am definitely concerned about the propensity for going manky that SJ mentions - that does not sound appealling!

Thanks for responses so far - anyone else?

my friend has a bateson and wouldnt go for anything else at all.

she loves it, its easy to pull, maintain and great for the horses too

Am definitely concerned about the propensity for going manky that SJ mentions - that does not sound appealling!

yeah - the white is a bit of a bugger as it will show up the dirt - however - i have a pressure washer ;)

BUT - having mostly towed dark IW's over here i do fel that they get rather hot inside..... i travelled my horse on a hot day recently in a blue IW and she was really sweating up and it was boiling inside when i stopped to unload her :( (ETA - obv the cool breeze keep them cooler whist travelling but i had to keep her inside for a but once i got to destination and with no wind it soon got hot)

i think i've pursuaded myself bateson lol!! ;)

I agree with Posie spot on comparison.

I did the same comparison and more less came to the same conclusion.

Ifors are two a penny and Bateson’s are difficult to find. Here is the twist, I ended up with Fautras which is even rarer than a Bateson. Saying that I would have had a Bateson if I could found one at the time.

I think the only problem with the Bateson is the colour. Great for reflecting heat and a pain to keep clean.

You can’t have it both ways. Just give it a wash from time to time. :):):)

If it's heat/ventilation I have a Wessex which has a fully galvanised chassis & frame, white reflective smooth roof, moulded GRP roof cone incorporating front air vent and translucent panel for internal light which makes the trailer very airy.

I have just sold a Bateson, within half an hour of my advert going on website.

I have had at least 80 enquiries, all saying " damn, we cant get hold of a second hand Bateson they get snapped up so quick" I think that says it all if you are worried about re selling it.

I just got one too... mine has side opening door at the back and a little ramp that pulls out ..... thought the horses would hate it but they are fine.

I find the front ramp is really easy to use very light... for us ladies to use

i had a bateson great
easy to tow , and they have a hitching mirror .. great when you are trying to line up the car.and i sold it the same day that i placed the add .. could have sold it 10 times over .so many people called about it:D

newrider.com