Bateson or Ifor...which do you prefer?

Llinos

Aug 16, 2007
I was going to get a new Ifor but the salesman mucked me around and I am furious (long story!) so am not going to buy from them now. However, having spoken to a small, private trailer dealer, they told me that they would always go for a Bateson over an Ifor due to something to do with the flooring in a Bateson (no they didn't have any Batesons in stock so weren't trying to make a sale, lol! ). I have been reading up on Batesons and it seems that some folks say their horses seem to prefer travelling in a Bateson as it has different springs and gives a smoother ride, and is also light and airy inside. I have never seen a Bateson in the flesh but am tempted now to look into getting one instead of an Ifor. I can't afford a brand new Bateson as they are considerably more expensive than an Ifor but i've seen a 2nd hand one for a reasonable price. I would be grateful if anyone could give me their opinions or experiences of Batesons...

Ifor Williams 510 for me!

My mare only went in a Bateson once, and leant on the back ramp, and the locks snapped off!!! :eek:

Ifor Williams pull great, last years and easy to find spares if needed. You can also get the breach bars off from the outside. Very handy!

We looked at both and eventiually opted for the Ifor. Felt it was more substantial. It's our second one and no problems with either. I will either upgrade to a 510 or a ladies box next year though, haven't decided yet ...

Bateson, Bateson, Bateson
The ride is much smoother, and no Ali floor. No rattles and kerb side front unload. Ive had a Ifor, loved it but then got a Richardson and the difference in towing was amazing. It was so so smooth. Ok Ive never had a Bateson but the suspension is the same and it makes such a difference. The Ifors are well made and practical but one dealer said to me the price difference between Ifors and Batesons, Rice Richardson is like the difference between buying a Ford and a Rolls Royce. I'd go for the deaville model if I was buying with Boston doors as the only thing I dont like about the Bateson is that you cant shut one top back door when travelling (something I have to do)

I used to have an old Rice (when they were seperate company) and had lots of bad moments as horses got bigger so then I went to a 7.5 t lorry

Having decided to go back to a trailer I bought an IW HB510. Tows like dream behind Discovery, faster and easier to travel with then old lorry and apart from one horse who had apparently had a trailer accident ( previous owner failed to tell us) easier to load and unload.

We use it a couple of times a week, average journey about 45mins, longest 4 hours . Takes everything safely from my bad traveller 17.2 ID to 12hh pony on way to vet.

Simple and basic but very well thought out.

newrider.com