Basingstoke area

joosie

lifelong sufferer of restless brain syndrome
Oct 28, 2004
New Zealand
The lovely 15-year-old girl who often helps us on the yard wanted to go to the UK this summer hoping to improve her English as she has been struggling with it at school. I've found her a work experience placement at a yard at Sherfield on Loddon (north of Basingstoke) for approximately 3 weeks in August but unfortunately the yard can't provide accommodation. Her parents can't really afford to put her in a B&B/guesthouse for that length of time so I've been looking for a host family / homestay type arrangement for her instead. She doesn't need anything fancy - just a bedroom and food - they will pay for her board and she's happy to help with housework and pets etc, and is very mature and responsible for her age. I thought it would be easy to find somewhere in the area that takes foreign exchange type people, but apparently not!
So if anyone knows people who live in the Basingstoke area who might be able to take her, or if you have any ideas of where else I could look for suitable accommodation, please let me know :) It would be a shame if she couldn't go because she's got nowhere to stay!

Just a suggestion that, if you dont know anyone with children in Basingstoke, you could ask if any staff or client at the Yard where she has a placement whether any family would like a French child to stay to exchange French/English conversation while she was here. Finding a foreign language exchange is always helpful just before taking GCSE. I have one grandchild who learns French at school but unfortunately she is miles from Basingstoke.

newrider.com