Base Layers for us Humans

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Ok having done a lot of walking on the moors I know what a base layer is. I also know the general rule of thumb is to have just three layers.

Here's the thing. I have a Shires xc layer thing that I use in the summer. It was sold as ideal competition blah blah. It keeps me cool, in fact sometimes a bit too cool almost on chilly!

I wouldn't want this on currently instead of my thicker t shirt for example, I would be too cold. That's why I use for summer.
Are the baselayers being sold now a winter type?

I love bamboo cotton base layers, keep me warm without overheating. I save a merino for really cold frozen solid days. I don’t buy equestrian branded ones.
Have you tried that base layer as a base layer? ie under your t-shirt? It may be cool on it’s own but warm under something else by creating a warm air layer.

Reactions: Margie and Magic
I haven't yet as it hasn't got that cold yet. But because of how cool it keeps me it puts me off.

I do want to avoid horse brands as it will be cheaper.

You can get base layers/technical tops for all year round, I have summer and winter ones but do wear my summer ones all year round with various layers. Technical tops are pretty much all I wear!

I have the one you linked to and actually wore it yesterday evening to ride. I find although I need additional layers on the yard it's still plenty warm enough by the time I've warmed up and am riding properly - even at 7.30 in the evening. I'd have probay been chilly just mooching around the block on a quiet hack and would have needed layers on top.

Some of my winter weight base layers are a slightly thicker material and some are fleece lined - but would be far too hot riding in those at the moment!

I personally prefer the technical material tops over a t-shirt as I hate getting hot and sweaty riding and then wearing the same t shirt for finishing off around the yard as I just feel gross! With a base layer/technical type top any sweat dries much more quickly and feel dryer/cleaner/more hygienic after riding until I can shower when I get home.

Last edited:
I use M&S Heathen baselayers. Veey thin and soft but keep me lovely and warm but I don't sweat buckets in them. They wick away moisture. Have to say I got them last year for the 1st time and I'm very impressed. I do have a couple of merino base layer tops which I bloody love but they were a gift from my dad and quite expensive! The M&S ones I got off eBay for between £7-10 and they are actually smart enough to wear wothout something for the hope as well.

I don't really do layers. My condition keeps me warm ? :rolleyes: Plus luckily in the depths of winter it's never too bad here, once I've acclimatised. However, Mr T recently purchased some from Sports Direct, I don't think they were equestrian ones though.

I would term that a 'fashion' base layer rather than a practical one! I have it too and I tend to wear it on warmer autumn days with a t-shirt or vest underneath, which absolutely isn't the point of a 'base' layer. If I wanted a warm base layer I probably would look at Sports Direct or Go Outdoors or something and get a cheaper, non-equestrian one. Like @Trewsers, I don't want anything too warm on these days - I like a warm coat that I can fling off at a moment's notice (and preferably step inside the fridge lol).

Today was a warm day, so I probably should have put that base layer on and then my thin jacket. It looked liked it was going to rain and would have without my jacket you can guarantee.

There are various base layers in the sale at the moment for me to nose at.

Worn the Toggi one that I found in the sale.
That's nice and warm and, um, fitted.

Just grabbed a wool jumper off ebay and that's definately going to be a cheaper option for when its really cold. Assuming it doesn't make me itch like the cob :)
Horse base layers are just going silly money, but I am pretty sure other base layers do the same job.

Worn the Toggi one that I found in the sale.
That's nice and warm and, um, fitted.

Just grabbed a wool jumper off ebay and that's definately going to be a cheaper option for when its really cold. Assuming it doesn't make me itch like the cob :)
Horse base layers are just going silly money, but I am pretty sure other base layers do the same job.

Oooer good luck with proper wool! I fancy a lovely hand knitted affair from one of the local shops up here but sadly worry in case I either shrink it or it itches me.

I love bamboo cotton base layers, keep me warm without overheating. I save a merino for really cold frozen solid days. I don’t buy equestrian branded ones.
Have you tried that base layer as a base layer? ie under your t-shirt? It may be cool on it’s own but warm under something else by creating a warm air layer.
I second this. I have owned several bamboo and bamboo cottons tops over the years and I love how every top felt soft on my skin, kept me warm/cool, and lasted a very long time. While I didn't own horses at the time I purchased these tops for camping and they worked excellent in my neck of the woods. Cold, wet nights and mornings, by noon blazing heat.

Merino wool here too, although I bought a really nice thermal base layer from M&S a few years ago that has a very fine almost fleecy inner, that’s lush and very warm too.

newrider.com