Barrier Creams

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
Well I think I have nearly beaten the mud monster so now I can start to use a good barrier cream on all his feet.

I am currently using equimis Udder Cream with tea tree and zinc but I am just about to run out so thought I would ask what others use before I buy some more.

I now pig oil & Sulphur is mean't to be great but it is for ginger he has very very think skin and white socks I think PO&S will be to strong and burn him so to be honest I don't even want to try it.

Any suggestions welcome

Before I had the vet out for Chloe I was using Aromesse cream on her heels - it was ok last winter and in early spring this year it was a good barrier. However, she worsened due to Cushings - and the Aromesse stopped being as effective. Do some folk use just plain vaseline?

Victory has just had a bout of the dreaded MF. The first time in 5 odd years since I bought him. Never had it at home but now he's in livery he's got it :frown:

I think partly because it is so so muddy at the yard (I used to turn out in sand school when really muddy at home) also they wash hooves and legs which at home I would let it dry then brush off, but as I can't get to the yard every day, I let them wash as I can't brush off when I want to.

Anyway, I have applied lots of Sudacreme. Pulled a few scabs off, but feel that pulling scabs off just lets the bacteria back in, so have tried to leave the scabs but applied loads of Sudacreme.

Anyway a couple of weeks later and he just about back to normal.

Now I know Sudacreme works wonders with nappy rash (and my youngest had the worst nappy rash ever) swear by it, and looks like it is doing the MF job just as well as the nappy rash.

I did think about using Camrosa but have read a lot of negative things about it :unsure:

Sudocreme or a chemist's own zinc and castor oil (nappy rash!) cream will work admirably.

I use udder cream or aromese stuff ( can't remember the name). Pig oil seems to work wonders on horses on the yard but not on frank I think I maybe dnt apply it properly?

touching wood and not wanting to jinx us = since Josh we have been lucky not to have had MF - although all 4 are natives with varying ammount of feather - we just don't touch the feathers at all in winter and leave them to do their job.

Josh on the otherhand - no feather TB was a nightmare - eventually we got on top of it and managed him 365 days a year with the use of keretex powder with turnout boots added during winter - it took a number of years to find the management we had 5 clear years before we lost him to something unrelated.

I use PO & S on my boy who has white feathers. I have heard some peoples horses have had reactions but I think its great stuff.

I would use plain pig oil. I believe that it is the sulpher which stings and causes the worst reactions.

Pig oil is great stuff. Ben had mud fever some months ago and now he has perfectly white feathers and no mud fever at all.

Years ago I used camrosa on my old mare who had sweet itch. I loved the stuff, it did the job and was amazing. I would use it again if I had cause to.

I used to use aromese (sp?) aromaheel which treated the mf really well. When it had completely gone I started to use Kerotex (sp?) powder as a preventative. 3 years down the line I still use it and touch wood have only had the mildest flare up since. I do wonder if I'm wasting my money as it looks very much like talc and for £12 a pack is a very expensive talc! However, I continue to use it as it seems to work and it took so long to get rid of the mf before.

I used to use aromese (sp?) aromaheel which treated the mf really well. When it had completely gone I started to use Kerotex (sp?) powder as a preventative. 3 years down the line I still use it and touch wood have only had the mildest flare up since. I do wonder if I'm wasting my money as it looks very much like talc and for £12 a pack is a very expensive talc! However, I continue to use it as it seems to work and it took so long to get rid of the mf before.

we used the keretex powder on Josh and had 5 years free of MF after years of trying other things - no needed it since we lost him but always have some in the tack room.

Thanks guys. I have ordered some plain pig oil I can't use the turn out socks I have brought as he has to have wraps on at night as his legs fill. I knew I should not have got a TB with 4 white socks:redcarded:

I have also just bought plain pig oil - to try and keep madams tail - she is pretending to be a hippo and tail is starting to suffer! If she doesn't react I will hold out hope for you!!!! :)

Camrosa sorted my TB off the track's mud fever and awful rainscald. Absolutely fantastic stuff. But very expensive and wouldn't use it just for prevention I don't think.

Just pig oil for Ginger I think. Tobes does well with just pig oil - hates the smell of the sulphur and kicks OUT - not up!

newrider.com