barrier cream

lor

Jun 28, 2006
My po gets sweet itch and wears a boett rug/snuggy hood. This is great but she is unfortunate enough to get bitten at the top inside of her legs.

the boett people sell an ointment that lasts 24 hours and acts as a barrier that midges cannot bite through. Its tres expensive and I just wondered if anyone had found anything else that may do the same job?
Valesine/baby oil etc evaporate after a few hours, it really has to be something that is skin friendly (i would patch test) and lasts 24!!!

Thanks in advance and hope :D

Hi, I would be interested in this as well. My mare has an old injury in which the hair has never grown back, so I have been putting vasleline on it daily and the hair is growing back now :)
But I agree that vaseline doesn't stay on long so also need to find another cream or something!

Sudocrem?

Its designed for babies' bums, so its about as rub-resistant as you're going to get! Its handy to have a tub as an all purpose wound cream too.

I put Camrosa ointment on (only available direct from the manufacturer) as my mare has the same problem in that area. I also use it on the top of her tail and on her face and base of her ears where the hood doesn't cover. I just reapply when required which is usually a few days. It's expensive but a little goes a long way.

Thanks for the suggestion, but sudocrem doesnt last long enough :(

I think camrosa is virtually the same as the pure gold ointment, interesting to hear that the camrosa seems to be an effective barrier for a few days, that would help.
Cheers :)

I use sudocreme too as my sweet itch geldings get bitten on their undercarriages. I am currently using udder ointment (from the agricultural merchant). It seems to be working very well and leaves your hands lovely and soft

I love the smell of udder cream on my hands doesnt wash out very easily. I have two daughters who swear by uddercream after shaving, apparently Paris Hilton made that one famous.
use it on mane and tail to stop midgies and sooth with camomile lotion underneath because the camomile washes off in the rain.

Sudocreme is very good but doesnt last as long as the stuff I currently use.

I am interested in the udder cream though, I wonder if they will let me open some in the shop and feel the consistency:confused:

Thanks for the replies :D

I put Camrosa ointment on (only available direct from the manufacturer) as my mare has the same problem in that area. I also use it on the top of her tail and on her face and base of her ears where the hood doesn't cover. I just reapply when required which is usually a few days. It's expensive but a little goes a long way.

Yes I have some of this and very very good.

I also use Aqueous creme, very good. Ive heard its the barrier of neally all creams. (You can get this from neally everywhere, Sainsburys etc)

newrider.com