barefoot trimmer v farrier- advice please!

J Leahy

Apr 7, 2010
Hi

My new loanee is barefoot and I have reverted my little cob to barefoot as having spoken to others since they don't do a huge amount and when I got my cob she was barefoot but I put shoes on her as I was worried about bruising as some of our ground is a little stony.

They are oldies and I was told it would be better to keep them barefoot to diminish the risk of arthritis.

I was very impressed with the barefoot trimmer, who kept my pony's left rear slightly ''longer'' due to the shape of her hoof wall, however people lots of people have said i should get a trim with our normal farrier. I was wondering whether people on here prefer to use a barefoot trimmer or whether they have a 'traditional farrier' who trims

Last edited:
Hiya,

My mares been barefoot for about 9 months after lots of research and the benefits of barefoot for conditions such as navicular (my mare has navicular changes). My farrier is great but i have been looking into Equine Podiatry (EP) and its fascinating. I have my first appointment with an EP next thursday. I am open minded and am willing to try anything to benefit my girl, even though im happy with my farrier. It is a little more expensive but i will give it ago and see how it goes. There is loads of research on on barefoot hooves and it amazing (its my new obsession). The EP will also discuss boots with you while you are in transitioning period with your horse and will help you re-condition there feet to being barefoot. Have a look on web, i think EP's are different to barefoot trimmers though. They are regulated and have intensive training. Sorry ive waffled again! :rolleyes:

barefoot re farrier

hi

thanks for your reply, well I was totally converted, but been told by lots of people that its ridiculous and I should stick to the farrier rather than be taken in by 'new fangled stuff'

so what is the difference between an ep and barefoot trimmer. I am very impressed with the barefoot trimmer as I'm not sure that she didn't seem to be more 'gentle' with their hooves

Sometimes I think its better to trust your own instincts I encountered similar in my hunt for a western saddle a lot of people told me it wasn't so good and that you absolutely shouldn't use a western saddle with an english bridle but it has worked v well for us so i'm sticking to it!!

I think the difference is that EP's do things like look at using boots and conditioning the feet and also diet and environment. I think a trimmer is just that, both im sure very good in what they do. But im still new to this aswell and there is so much to read and take in. Everyone has different opinions about the shod vs barefoot argument. Abby was always shod as thats what your told that a working horse must be shod. But there are lots of benefits, she had feet like dinner plates and used to slip everywhere, she does not do that now, its cheaper, we can ride anytime (no lost shoes) and is 100% sound (vet said that she was 80% and that would be it when in eggbars) for some example.

If you are happy with the trimmer and thats your instinct then go with it, im sure your 4 legged friends will let you know if its not right. :)

yes this trimmer discussed nutrition and dietary needs with me to it was really v useful. I kn ow what you mean mine slipped on a drain cover once, I am v lucky to as they both seem to have good feet. Not to be nosy but what do you pay for your barefoot trimming? let me know how you get on with the EP. Do you know much about kniesiology for horses?

Yeah i think they are very similar. For a barefoot trim from my farrier it £20 its £35 from EP. But i will give it a bash. I will let you know how we get on, i might do my first post on it (if im brave :confused:) As for the kniesiology i dont know about that but i will have a look now. Its each to their own but im more than happy being barefoot and Abby seems to be aswell ;)

My gelding has lovely feet so doesnt need much doing so I would be tempted to use a farrier because it would be cheaper - however he has issues with farriers and my barefoot trimmer spends so much time calming him, introducing things slowly, clicker training and giving general advice regarding behaviour she deffo earns her money that way!

I would say stick with your trimmer if you are happy with him/her - you sound really happy with them so ignore the busy bodies and continue how you are!:)

My arab was barefoot when i got him so promptly put shoes on :eek: as thats what you do :rolleyes: After his second set of shoes (they barely lasted 5 weeks) constant slipping and tripping, my farrier agreed that we should revert back to barefoot as he has good feet. For us there wasn't really a transitioning period - his feet were tough and he was much more free in his action :cool: That was about 18months ago now and he copes with the hardest rockiest terrain with no probs! In fact my farrier said if he ever had to be shod again we would have to soften his feet to enable shoeing :eek:

Admittedly i have contemplated finding a barefoot trimmer but i love my farrier - he is fantastic with the horses and is constantly expanding his knowledge so is clued up on feeding, suppliments, products (especially cheap alternatives!) and so much more.

He even gave me an old wire brush for Indies feet and an old rasp so when the mares hooves chipped i could rasp it smooth myself :D

I think it's a case of who you are happy with. My farrier does a nice balanced trim on my barefoot boy and shoes nicely for my mare. He's very much into new developments and also offers slow motion video analysis so takes a horses way of going very seriously indeed.

I personally was contemplating swapping to a trimmer a while back and decided against as all they can do is trim so I'd need 2 people to see to my ponies as one is shod and one isn't. By farrier can do both very well and I have no complaints. I don't need advice on upkeep or diet as there's enough about all of that on here and they both have very good feet now.

I feel the same, stick with what your happy with and trust your judgement. Its an intrest of mine to learn more about different approaches but its an individual choice. I hope that does not make me a 'busy body!' as that is not what i would like people to think as i repect everyones choice and opinion. I will keep you posted with my experience next week of the EP :eek:

I use a farrier on my two barefoots and am very happy with him. He does prefer to keep horses barefoot where possible anyway though and does a really good trim. I wouldn't pay for a EP as I don't think they do a 'better' job (or worse btw) and they charge more!

A lot depends how good your farrier is, or how good your EP s for that matter. :)

I'd say that if it isn't broke don't fix it, the job the individual does is the most important thing regardless of their label, and if they're leaving your horse sound and with nice feet then that's good enough.

An EP is the same thing as a barefoot trimmer IMHO, it's just one particular trimming style. So long as whoever is trimming isn't taking too much off and making the horse sore then the trim is actually not that important in terms of barefoot success.

Thanks very much,

my farrier has done a lot of barefoot work with donkeys but their little feet are really quite different I think aren't they. Out interest Joy scarer why do you keep one of your horses barefoot and one shod, have you found that diet etc didn't help improve his/her hooves?

Well, Littles came to me unshod and he's a companion. Joy I tried to go barefoot with a while back but I wasn't prepared enough and didn't have hoofboots and even being shod fronts and barefoot backs wasn't making her comfortable enough to work through properly. When it came to spring I had to massively up her work to keep her weight down. I have a lot of gravel on the country lanes I hack on and the off road tracks are flinty. She was sore, wasn't tracking up and I saw no reason to make her suffer the transition without boots (as many people don;t get the boots choice right first time) and couldn't take things easier. That's it in a nutshell really :D

I'm sure that if I properly transitioned her she'd be fine as her feet are superb, my farrier certainly feels she'd do well barefoot, however I do worry with the flint and just want to get on with working her as much as possible to keep on top of the weight issues. That's the biggest priority for her as she's an exceptionally good doer. :(

oh I see,

Our ground is a bit flinty so I'll see how it goes. I have two that can easily become little barrels too lol

I always used a farrier for those with shoes and without - but then had various rescue ponies who needed a lot of time and patience (both in regard to the condition of their feet and how they needed to be handled). My farrier is great, but he expects a pony to stand still so he can just get on with the job.

I found a barefoot trimmer who covers our area, and she has been wonderful - literally saved the life of one of my rescue ponies :)

Frayne is still very nervous of the farrier, after being shod for a while - but loves Sara.

I do have a loan pony coming who is shod on the front (his owner says that he would not cope without shoes on the roads - he has had lami in the past, bruised soles etc), but will consult Sara and see if she thinks we can improve his feet with time/boots etc (obviously only if his owner agrees to give it a go). It is suspected that he has a touch of arthritis, so going barefoot should help him.

Sara is more expensive than the farrier, but spends a lot more time on the yard, so is actually probably cheaper if you compared time.

Ali xx

newrider.com