Barefoot feet

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
Opinions please.

I will try to get some better ones later. Figit horse. So i didnt get the right angle.

I have some concerns but im not sure if im over reacting.

20220829_121244.jpg20220829_121224.jpg

20220829_121133.jpg

How’s he going on them? Is he fine, not lame, no issues? If so I’d say why worry, Belles feet look awful just now, it, she’s sound and happily striding out even over chunky gravel so I’m not worried.

Foot looks stretched for being barefoot to me 🧐 needs the bars and heels looked at and the foot given an over all trim and balance but other than that looks ok given the summer we have had.

Sid's feet are great but they look like Zombie feet at the moment, it has been too dry for his soles to exfoliate and after the recent rain half the sole has fallen off each foot - they look dreadful.

I can't comment on your feet as ignorant, but I don't think I would be worrying overmuch if they belonged to my horse.

What are you not happy with?

The hoof needs to be trimmed to his way of going. So although I would want more frog and heel looking at, is he unsound?

It all depends on how the horse moves to me. If the horse is sound and happy, I really don’t think it matters at all what the foot looks like.

It looks like there’s some excess length to the foot and the lateral balance maybe a bit off but difficult to tell with the angle of the pics

Just a little update.
I followed my farriers advice and he was right and im now much happier.

It was all my fault, over the summer what with haymaking, the heatwave, lack of rider for chunky and him being lame. I just completely lost my enthusiasm to get the horses out for there inhand walks. Consequently the hoofs just grew. The back ones in particular. The pictures dont show how long they had got. I reckon at least 1&1/2cms of rim.
When the farrier came out 6 weeks ago i asked him to take a look and said i felt they needed a trim. It wasnt going to help him with hid hock injury either if the feet were badly over grown.

Farrier wouldnt trim, and told me to get him out on the road track and his feet would soon wear down and break off. Well i did as he said and sure enough they have worn back down. I wasnt to happy about them breaking off, hes always been fairly tidy on the feet and i didnt want to create big splits in the hoof wall, hes lame enough with his hock, which is why i felt they needed to be trimmed. I guess i now know because hes not walking on the rims anymore. So hopefully better weight bearing, using more foot and applying pressure through the frogs etc for better blood supply.

So at least it should now give me that insentive to keep walking him out and not let hisfeet get that long again.

newrider.com