Bareback hacking getting better

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Ziggy and I went out again today for a bareback hack.

Call it self preservation because it was really cold, and his warm woolliness keeps me toasty!

Anyway, we were out for more than an hour (but spent about ten minutes hiding under holly bushes while it hailed) and had a really nice time. He listened well when I asked him to stop or slow his walk, and we did a bit of trotting - I rise to the trot when we are bareback because it's good for my muscles. We also had a lovely lovely canter up the best canter track, not for too long but for long enough for me to feel how easy and comfortable and natural it is to sit the canter on him without a saddle.

Also he spooked a couple of times - curse those ninja squirrels! :ninja: - and on both occasions I managed to sit tall and deep rather than hunch up like a gnome. It's amazing how much more secure it makes me, and ridiculous how my brain doesn't want to do it.

When I get off, I feel as if the insides of my legs have stretched like chewing gum. In fact it feels as if my legs are a couple of inches longer all round. Weird :smoke:

Sounds great. I have had a few bareback sessions with Ben recently but haven't hacked out yet. I love riding bareback - after I stopped worrying about sliding too far backwards and relaxed a little, I found that I actually felt more secure than I do with a saddle on. And I LOVE feeling so warm and close to him. I just need to become more confident getting on him on my own - at 16hh and ultra wide he is not that easy to mount without stirrups.

I'm in awe Jane. I remember when you first got Ziggy and he was a wee speed demon. Never would have thought you'd be going for a lovely relaxed bareback hack on him and cantering!
I would love to do this some day, but I doubt it will happen on the Flipo one. He is far too sensitive, the saddle gives me some protection from him realising how nervous I am. Its a shame as it just sounds so idyllic, nice warm ziggy on cold days!

Sounds fab. I am happy plodding along lanes bareback, but don't think I would fancy cantering, as Tobes gets overly excited and bucks sometimes and no doubt I would come flying off!!

Well done you! I don't think I could manage an whole hour bareback!

I had a lovely canter bareback on Bails as I was riding her back to the field the other day, it was dark and with just the light of my head torch I forgot my friend's tb's were next to the track, so we raced them to the top of the hill, bareback in a headcollar! :D Oddly I was always happier riding Henry without a saddle than with.

sound like you had fun. they are warm and cozy. I haven't ridden my newest horse bareback yet, but am excited too, but she SO much bigger than my poneo that even with a block I can't get on. hehe.

and good advice about sitting tall. I'll try (try) to remember that during future bareback scares.

and funny about the legs thing. I get something like that after most long rides. Feels like my legs are still riding but I'm not. hehe.

newrider.com