Banana Shapes and Legs that wouldn't squish a knat!

Retty

Jan 26, 2003
Essex
Visit site
Hi there,

I knew it was one of those days when I tripped over a chicken before I had even go onto the yard...

Lately my nerves have really got the better of me, I have a relatively new horse (3 months or so), a new place that I am at (very nice yard), it's winter and my super calm mare has turned into Satan's best helper. After a series of pogo'ing around the yard and me falling splat on the ground, spooking then cantering into on-coming traffic my confidence has become rather fragile (once again)

One of the nice ladies at the yard offered for me to ride her 30 year old super calm, doesn't do anything nasty even if howling winds mare to try and get some confidence back (I am learning and starting Parelli on my mare to hopefully get the balance back and my confidence) anyway, for ages I thought that I had a reasonable postition until I got on my friends mare who will not move unless given the exact correct aid and leg is in right position (this mare is 30, been there done it and a school mistress). My friend could not believe it and we sat there laughing as her mare would not even move forward! On further investigations my friend noticed that my leg was quite forward and there was no strength in lower leg! So... now I know and am working on this but now I have a problem turning corners! I am supporting with outside rein, squeezing with inside and inside leg on and outside leg to support but still my mare is cutting the corner off, I know this is my fault as my friend can get my mare in the correct place, any ideas (bearing in mind my legs are fairly weak and I am trying to build them up!)

I don't like to laugh, Retty, but nearly fell off my chair. Delicious. Was it a monster chicken? has it gone in the pot?
Seriously tho' confidence is a fragile thing. How interesting about your legs. I have the same problem - weak ineffectual legs. Also my right leg pokes forward, whereas my left one is in the correct place. I'm trying to convince myself that if I can get off my butt for five minutes and run up and down stairs repeatedly, might strengthen my legs. And wear out the stair carpet. no other ideas I'm afraid. L

Do you mean she is falling in and cutting the corners instead of going around the corner.
I would prepare well in advance for the corners and it would probably help with you could put a drum or a box or something like that in the corner to ride around(maybe a chicken in each corner would help too :D )
Can you carry a whip and use it to reinforce your inside leg.
BTW standin in the stirrups at the trot and practicing two point position are great for strenghthening the lower leg.

Chickens, bananas and corners

Hi there,

Well I have to say I really have to laugh at myself else I'd cry! Erm, falling out, erm not really sure what you mean (as u can tell I am up on all the technical terms!) basically what is happening is I am riding along side of menage - get to corner, I am squeezing with inside rein (trying to get a bend), inside leg squeezing (to get her over on to track), outside rein just held (can feel contact but is not tight), she doesn't go over but cuts off corner - I feel like I am pushing really hard with my inner leg!! Tried holding inside rein out (makes no difference), now I know it is ME as others can ride her and get her right in the corners, when I asked it's "just push her over".. grrrrrr :( this is only in walk, you can imagine the mess in trot!!!!

Ps. I might train the chickens to chase her into the corners!!

Try and think about steering from the withers and your use of weight. By putting more weight in the outside bum cheek (which you will automatically be doing to some degree just by using your inside leg). You may need to think about transferring your weight into the outside stirrup if you cant get the feel of the bum thing! Also try and think about using your whole inside leg - thigh and knee too rather than just your calf and as your instructor says really think about PUSHING her over. This is how I was taught to begin with. Oh and make sure your outside leg is slightly further back to stop hindquarters swinging out (will also help to put weight in outside seat bone too).

Good luck.

As for confidence with your own horse I hate to say it but you really gotta get back in the saddle or i'tll just get worse. IMHO new horses about 2-3 months in start to test the water with their new owners and take the p**s. It is essentially a hierarchy battle and its vital you dont let her win.

Mine was the same at one point he took to refusing to go out of the yard and I had to have someone chase me with a lunge whip!

One last thing - re pogoing round the yard - could be two things, either lack of excercise which is making her fresh in which case you could lunge her for 10 minutes before you get on so she can let of steam. Second thing is it could be back pain. I hadnt ridden mine for 3 weeks, got on girthed up no probs then took 1 step forwards and he leapt in the air both feet off the ground and then we both fell. This was in the summer, I had a back person out a couple of weeks ago and he said this behaviour was almost defintely due to back pain.

Good luck anyway.

:D

chickens, bananas, add some spice and coconut milk...

and you 'll have Kashmir chiken, one of my faves.

Anyway, sorry, back to the topic.

It sounds like this mare is not bending through her back. It could be that you have weak legs, or it could also be as she is 30 and getting a bit stiff!

How about working on a 20m circle in the middle of the school and try to ask her to then turn it into an oval by leg yielding her when you are coming back to the track - as is set off form B doing a half 20m cricle, just before you get to E ask for leg yield to move her towards teh track, then keep her on teh track at a slight angle (her head facing in) and leg yield her down the long side for about 3-4 stride, then do another half 20m circle, then as you approach B leg yield her over again and keep her on teh track with her head and shoulders in.

You don't really want to ask her to do shoulder in along the track, you want ehr to move sideways as you aren't asking her to engage her inside hind, just to supple herself and respond to your inside leg.

Watch if you are weighting your outside stirrup that you don't put extra weight in your outside seatbone as they you will be asking her to bend the wrong way and it is then very easy for her to cut the corner!

bye!

Ok am confused now as there are 2 differing pieces of advice :rolleyes:

Try and think about steering from the withers and your use of weight. By putting more weight in the outside bum cheek (which you will automatically be doing to some degree just by using your inside leg). You may need to think about transferring your weight into the outside stirrup if you

and...

Watch if you are weighting your outside stirrup that you don't put extra weight in your outside seatbone as they you will be asking her to bend the wrong way and it is then very easy for her to cut the corner!

erm.... HELP!

Please clarify someone!

Thanks! :D

a really simple question - are you turning around the corner yourself ? May sound stupid - but it may be as simple as making sure that you are looking into but around the corner, and turning your outside shoulder around the corner.

Sometimes people get confused by this - because you ride straight around a corner ....

Imagine a train going around the corner - whilst it does not twist to the inside, it does have to adopt a new angle around the corner (depending on how tight the corner is) in order to make the turn.

So if you imagine your corner is a series of many small straight lines, then you have to ride straight along each. But your horse's rear end is a metre or so behind, so is on a 'previous' straight line. In general your hips/legs are controlling the back end and will be 'straight' with the hip angle, but your shoulder/arms are controlling the horses shoulders, so will be 'straight' with the horses shoulders. ie your hips and shoulders are not quite on the same line !

The easiest way to achieve this is to make sure you are looking ahead and around where you want to go, and think of turning around the corner (withiut twisting). If it helps, imagine pushing a wheelbarrow around the corner.

What we often do is over-adjust and micro-manage - you might be doing this (difficult to see without being there).

You should be able to ride a corner on a long rein - just using where you are looking and your legs. It takes a leap of faith but is a worthwhile exercise to try.

If you're having trouble getting the mare far enough into the corners and cutting early, try riding her straight at the corner. Imagine you're either going to go straight on over the end, or stop when you get there. Only think of turning at the very last second. You're probably thinking of turning before you actually get to the corner (anticipating) and the mare is helpfully turning when you think about it, rather than when you really want it, so you're trying to counteract that, rather than actually asking her to turn when you really want her to.

Hope this helps.

Sue
sue@eclipse.co.uk

Sussed

Ok I got it sussed... I booked an instructor!! Didn't trip over chicken this time but did have howling wind and rain and I had to ride with no reins..yikes! Went ok, we only walked, I asked the instructor to start me off from the very beginning, hopefully this way I will get it right :)

not sure if this would be of any use to you, but in Heather Moffets book, she recommends buying a large squishy ball that you put between your calfs and press/push your legs together! this will help to strengthen your legs and will give you an idea of how much pressure your exerting onto the ball (horse).

Im still yet to go and buy mine, but its an excercise you can do whilst at home in front of the tv, or even at work under your desk if you don't mind the odd stares!

Going in a slightly different direction :) thinking of the large squishy ball...

I've read that people who sit crookedly or slouched can benefit from getting a very large inflated ball and using it as a chair when seated for long times. Since the ball will move if you're putting your weight on it unevenly, you can use it to teach yourself to sit straighter. And sitting straighter can only help your riding :) (I keep meaning to go get one.)

gym balls are quite easy to find - even saw one in Tesco's the other day (for sale, not just bouncing around... !)

If you get stuck, say so and I'll post a website that does stuff like this... (just got a pilates pillow from them).

newrider.com