Balancing the Canter?

laceyfreckle

May 27, 2007
Essex/Suffolk
I'm practising for my dressage test on sunday at the moment. The 'problem' i have is with prelim 4.

Ok, so Harvey is trying really hard in the canter, the canter itself is fairly nice and on the 20m circle in canter he is really flexing himself on the circle nicely without needing hardly any contact but when the canter comes off the circle to go around the school again we seem to get unbalanced and although he tries to keep cantering it does feel like we might fall over! as we have straightened up he has tripped occasionally as well.

So what can i do to help balance us up (aware it might be me, as much as him).

We are on the correct leg (easier then usual as we do struggle with correct leading leg but on this test I can ask from the corner while bending slightly to get the right leg.)

He is trying so hard for me in these dressage tests which surprises me as he doesn't really like dressage and i think puts up with it for the jumping comps we go to :redface:

so suggestions would be great!

Last edited:
Dont know but i have been practicing pre lim 18 and i have to do 20m circle and then out to straight line. Luckily my ride is excellent at correcting himself... I suggest maybe slow up a bit? Half halt get attention? but keep leg on so he cant fall out? if that makes sense
Then again what do i know? hehe sorry i am not much help am i but that is what i would try first and if that doesnt work....................... hope the others are worse than me! LOL!

Dont know but i have been practicing pre lim 18 and i have to do 20m circle and then out to straight line. Luckily my ride is excellent at correcting himself... I suggest maybe slow up a bit? Half halt get attention? but keep leg on so he cant fall out? if that makes sense
Then again what do i know? hehe sorry i am not much help am i but that is what i would try first and if that doesnt work....................... hope the others are worse than me! LOL!

Thanks, I will try that and see if it makes a difference, will have to try and do it so he doesn't fall out of canter into trot though as he tends to collect himself quite a lot naturally when on a 20m circle. It is the same as prelim 18 i think in that you canter a 20m circle and then you go straight

....and i thought i was the only one with the strategy of "hope everyone does worse then me" lol

Thanks, I will try that and see if it makes a difference, will have to try and do it so he doesn't fall out of canter into trot though as he tends to collect himself quite a lot naturally when on a 20m circle. It is the same as prelim 18 i think in that you canter a 20m circle and then you go straight

....and i thought i was the only one with the strategy of "hope everyone does worse then me" lol

Yes and you have to do it off both blummin reins with a serpentine thrown in for good measue.. lol least thats in trot.
Do you have caller? Good luck though! !! :wavespin:

Yes and you have to do it off both blummin reins with a serpentine thrown in for good measue.. lol least thats in trot.
Do you have caller? Good luck though! !! :wavespin:

lol, prelim 4 is easier then prelim 18 i think although i had the choice of either. Prelim 4 yes you have to canter a 20m circle on both reins and then go straight, we are better one way then the other though! Also have to do 10m circles to x from both sides too but at least that's in walk.

I'm also doing intro B but at least that is a walk/trot test. I have asked if there is a spare caller going could someone please call for me but I won't know them or anything. I sort of know intro B but won't be able to remember all the prelim 4 as well.

Good luck on your test too!

newrider.com