balancing strap

Hugo10

Dec 26, 2007
Anyone use one of these???

if so, do you only hold it when the horse spooks etc or do you hold it all the time :confused:

I have one which I use for security as my young horse has done spectacular spooks and it saves me japping her in the mouth. I find it better than a neck strap because it doesn't tip me forwards and I actually don't often use it, but having it there is my 'security blanket'.

thanks for the replies :)

Was thinking about getting one as hugo bucked me off yesterday with the excitment of cantering in a field :eek:

haven't fallen off him before and it scared me a bit. through a strap might help me stay on in future?

if you have read any of my posts you will hear me bleating on and on about them..... best thing ever! i too have a bucker and i am a nrevous rider. Thanks to the balnce strap i am now riding him with confidence - cantered on stubble on saturday and was even sl;ightly dispointed that he didnt buck yesterday at his favorite bucking spot! - i hold it all the time with one hand and reins in other whilst hacking - but am slowly trying to ease away from 'all the time' now! I think there is a NR with one for sale in their signiture although i cant remember who! x

- cantered on stubble on saturday and was even sl;ightly dispointed that he didnt buck yesterday at his favorite bucking spot!

we were in a stubble field yesterday when I fell off! he just got sooo excited to be in just a big open space with his best mate cantering along side him that he did the biggest buck ever and I just went head first :eek: the worst bit about the whole thing was that he then ran off! :mad:

Just hope I'm not too scared to try again, even with a strap :eek:

OH NO! you poor thing!
if you use the strap like i do (ie all the time whilst out) if he bucks and you have hold of it with one hand you really would have a job to fall off - admittedly you dont really have a lot of brakes as you only have one hand on the reins and steering isnt brilliant but the main thing is that you cant fall of - the strap pulls you really deep into the saddle. Until you get one - try a flash strap - it isnt as comfortable in your hand and i dont think it would be so safe long term but would be a help to begin with. it will take you a while to get used to to begin with, but will help your confidence no end!

I bought one for riding rosie, its FAB! it has totally 110% helped me with my balance and confidence, when in fast canter out hacking I can sometimes bounce around, using the strap helped me hold both reins and keep control, plus keep my hands still too.

newrider.com