Balancing in strirrups how long for your? Lesson update

kiwigirl

Jan 27, 2007
Auckland, New Zealand
Well another fantastic lesson today which worked on standing up in your stirrups at trot. How long does it take to perfect this. I can manage a few strides but end up resorting to grabbing the mane of my leg goin out of position or leaning over to gain position! I am told that this is possibly at canter also:eek:

Anyway after doing that we worked on 2 point position again which I find much easier to stay in but was having heaps of trouble keeping the horse going in it. I guess it is squeeze with the legs? But feels weird when you are in a totally different position. So did this in trot and then did some rising trot then into 2 pointover trotting poles, managed a couple but my steering and impulsion were a bit off so it went a bit to custart with the horse shying away from the poles! Never the less I loved every minute of it even though it was frustrating that I couldn't keep I nice rhythm going.

At the end we did about 3 canters down the side of the arena and it was wonderful! First time I have felt this relaxed, the canter felt slower and no neck strap holding! I really feel like i have made some progress finally:)

Excellent Kiwigirl, I've been trying 2 point position in my Australian Stock Saddle, and it's kinda hard. Fun hey. Do you ride every day or just once a week? I ride as often as I can since the Horse is ours and on our property.

Last edited:
Excellent Kiwigirl, I've been trying 2 point position in my Australian Stock Saddle, and it's kinda hard. Fun hey. Do you ride every day or just once a week? I ride as often as I can since the Horse is ours and on our property.

Unfortunately I live in the city and don't have my own horse so get to the riding school once or twice a week for an hour. I grew up on a farm so its very frustrating knowing my parents have acres of land where I could have a horse! Unfortunately I'm in the North Island and they are in the South! You will progree so fast having your own horse. Are you getting some instruction from anyone?

i did that exercise yesterday! didn't canter standing up though. i did manage to go down one side of the school standing up in the stirrups in trot though! yay!

Well done you! Was that whole side of the school standing right up or in 2-point? I think I could manage 2-point like that now but standing up and balancing with my leg in the right position thats another story...... You must have fantastic natural balance and a strong leg if you can mange that:)

newrider.com