balancing a horse

dani_gurl

Mar 31, 2003
England, Essex
Visit site
I really need to start getting my horsie balanced she does a motorbike impression at the moment and I really need her to be balanced in order to work further with her.

How would you go about it, exercises etc... tack...

ridden and unridden exercises.

Thanks for your help peeps xxxx

i would do a lot of walk work to begin with and get her used to moving off the inside leg. the key thing when a horse tends to motorbike is that they aren't using the inside hind enough, you also need to make sure you don't lean over :p you need to have some flexion through the head and neck but only enough so that the front end doesn't stiffen, i find lots of turn about the forehand helps - gets the inside leg under and the horse has to balance and not lean over on your inside leg. quarter turns are adequate for this. lots of circle work, varying sizes by leg yielding out to bigger circles and increasing bend to get the smaller circles. when changing bend make sure you ask with your leg first for the change as you want the horse to know it has a "new" inside leg and the body should bend out away from the leg then you can clarify with the reins the direction you want to travel in.

newrider.com