Baileys Meadow Sweet No 8

Claire1605

Apr 25, 2008
Essex
Anyone feed this??

I have recently changed my feed for my trakehner. He was on Winergy Equilibrium Low Energy and changed to Baileys Meadow Sweet No 8.

The reason for the change was due to problems with suppliers. I would have to order it in as no suppliers locally stocked it. When it arrives it is always short on use by date and loads would get wasted.

Anyway, Baileys No 8 is meant to be low energy, slow release for horses at rest or in light work.

Although Victory is very off the leg normally, he is now very excitable, both in the school and out hacking.

He oozes excitement and today whilst hacking his fear of bicycles re-amerged and he was up and down on the spot, going backwards and spinning. Would not even go past them when I asked the cyclists to stand still with their bikes :eek:

He jogs and wants to canter all the time and while schooling he just wont settle.

Not sure if its change of feed or the weather.

Sounds like a combination of both. I suggest knocking him down to chaff and beet alone - horses in hacking/light work rarely actually need mix/cubes.
Take him off the mix for a week/10 days and see what the difference is :)

Sounds like a combination of both. I suggest knocking him down to chaff and beet alone - horses in hacking/light work rarely actually need mix/cubes.
Take him off the mix for a week/10 days and see what the difference is :)

He's always been on mixed feed and has been fine up until the change.

The change did come at the same time as the cooler, windy wet horrible weather.

But I will take him off it and see what happens.

Does he get spooky in windy weather? otherwise I wouldn't see why the winter would bring excitable behaviour, if anything they would get sluggish unless being stabled for long periods where they end up with energy to burn. Now come spring-time then I would expect a change in excitable behaviour.

He's always been on mixed feed and has been fine up until the change.

The change did come at the same time as the cooler, windy wet horrible weather.

Could be that something in the mix doesn't agree with him? I'm not familiar with the Baileys feed to be honest as I've never fed it but check for barley, added soya oil etc. as these are common allergens.
If I were you, I would stop the mix completely for a week or so, and if he's better then look towards introducing a new mix. Look at what is in the Winergy you were feeding, and compare it to other low energy mixes to try find a similar one :)
Fingers crossed you get sorted :)

newrider.com