baileys conditioning cubes - non heating?

trieste

Mar 5, 2004
Norfolk/Suffolk border on the coast
I realise it could be spring grass, but we haven't really got any at the moment.:( Because Panda and Peggy were losing weight and not eating their hay up we started feeding Baileys no.4, started feeding last Monday, rode Panda Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, (normal forward going pony but steady, listening etc) Hacked out on Saturday and had no brakes :eek:. Hoped it was a one off! Now at the moment I have a bad shoulder and have been riding just using one arm she has been as good as gold as she always has been out hacking. Had a lesson on Tuesday, she was good, now Peggy was 'bright' for Peggy, just makes her more fun. Hacked out yesterday and complete brake failure, really wasn't pleasant, musn't use my bad arm so once I managed to stop, just walked and trotted home.

My shoulder is going to take a while to heal, it's been bad enough having somebody else jump Panda :( but at least for the past 2 weeks I've still been able to hack her. I'm really hoping somebody else on here has had a horse re-act to these cubes, otherwise I can only assume Panda knows I'm injured and is taking full advantage, the thing is she is smart so I feel she would have worked that out sooner.

I can't say if they are heating but when I looked into them they are quite high in starch and do contain cereals.

I feed my pony Topspec Cool Condition cubes to help him a bit as he dropped weight over winter. They have a lot less starch and low sugar and haven't made my horse any more fizzy then normal :) It doesn't contain cereal grains either, mainly oil.

Why not take her off the baileys for a few days and see if there is a difference?

Thanks laceyfreckle, forgot to say I have stopped feeding them to Panda. I will see how it goes. :) Hoping it's not going to rain this evening as a girl on my yard is going to take her out for me, she usually rides Panda when she's not riding hers when I go on holiday, she likes riding her and is very competent. Be interesting to see.

Feeling a bit happier, friend rode her yesterday was good, had brakes, the only thing is would you expect a difference in such a short time :confused:. I'm going to ride this afternoon and see how we get on. fingers crossed, I'll have my pony back. :)

Woo hoo, I've got my pony back, :D I rode Panda this afternoon and she was 'normal' not spooky (she isn't normally and was awful on Wednesday) and best of all she had brakes and was listening. :D I really woudn't have believed that stopping the cubes would have made such a difference.

Takes about 3 or 4 days to get things out of Arnies system. At least now I know that I dont have to panic for too long:D. Glad to hear she is back to normal:D

newrider.com