Bad manners or am I a grump

Dizzy Woo

Apr 20, 2008
Dorset
Daughter and I were schooling Daisy in our paddock at the weekend, 15 year old daughter was riding her for me on her left rein as I seem to be a total numpty and rather unbalanced :redface:
When field neighbour came up to her field only to find hers had trashed the electric fencing she had put up to stop them getting too much grass, I think she must have been rather angry with her ponios because she proceeded to drive them all around her field with a lunge whip, cracking it and shouting at them so that they were galloping and hairing around like absolute loonies kicking and bucking.
Daughter was just about to canter Daisy down the seperating fence when neighbour seemed to drive them straight for said fence. Daisy behaved OK just a little spook to the side but we just felt it was impossible to do any more schooling while 3 horses in the next field were being, what I can only think of, was being punished for trashing the fencing.
We decided to untack the Daisy ponio only to see field neighbour leaving her field.
What do you think? OH said I was over reacting a bit, its her field ans she can do what she likes, but surely basic manners and looking after fellow horse riders and giving them some sort of consideration when riding wouldnt go amiss.
Am I just a grump :stomp:

Well it is her field and all that, BUT, I would have been upset. It is the kind of thing that would have had me heading back to the stable to un-tack in a flash!lol, I am so nervous it would have pushed me over the edge.........It would have been good manners, but if she was cross with them, then I'm guessing she was letting some steam off?

Silly woman springs to mind - chasing the ponies around for trashing the fence is a complete waste of time IMO - it's a bit like coming home from work to find the puppy has done a wee or poo in the hall and rubbing the puppies nose in it:frown:

Common sense should have prevailed IMO and she should have just got one with redoing the fencing and left you alone to school your horse. Yes it is her field and her ponies, but i still think she was being daft

Sounds pretty dangerous to me. She only had to look up to see you there and if she insisted on chasing her horses round, done it in another direction. But a pointless reaction from her anyway - her horses will have mo idea what that was all about. Hopefully you'll be left in peace next time :frown:

Or Linda you could have justy ridden over, said Anna you're upsetting my two while Im riding, would you mind not doing that at the moment. And Id have stopped.

Wouldnt that have been easier than moaning on a public forum that you are well aware Im a frequent member of and was bound to see your post? As it happens I wasnt paying any attention to what you were up to but if Id have noticed it was upsetting them Id had stopped. Or you could have phoned, text or emailed just to say 'please dont do that again' rather than 'go public'.

I think moaning in public but not having the balls to come over and ask me a simple question is much worse manners :frown:.

As it happens I was chasing them as Rosie had chosen to jump the fence and quite frankly if she can jump in, then she can blooming well jump back out again rather than me having to take down a section of fence and as we were not in the field next to you but in the next one up I hadnt expected that to interfere with what you were doing.

WHOOPS! (Hastily attempts to pour oil on troubled waters................!). Sure there are some crossed wires here..................eeeek......lets not have any cross words (I hate bother!!!) Okay, will butt out now...............(insert blush icon)

Very bad manners and i would have told her in no uncertain words probably with a few expletives.

Or Linda you could have justy ridden over, said Anna you're upsetting my two while Im riding, would you mind not doing that at the moment. And Id have stopped.

Wouldnt that have been easier than moaning on a public forum that you are well aware Im a frequent member of and was bound to see your post? As it happens I wasnt paying any attention to what you were up to but if Id have noticed it was upsetting them Id had stopped. Or you could have phoned, text or emailed just to say 'please dont do that again' rather than 'go public'.

I think moaning in public but not having the balls to come over and ask me a simple question is much worse manners :frown:.

As it happens I was chasing them as Rosie had chosen to jump the fence and quite frankly if she can jump in, then she can blooming well jump back out again rather than me having to take down a section of fence and as we were not in the field next to you but in the next one up I hadnt expected that to interfere with what you were doing.

Sorry Anna - I didnt name and shame you on purpose, I don't think anyone else on here would have known I was talking about you, this is a great, friendly forum that has helped me with loads of good advise over the past year and I did not want to start something, just wanted some other less biased opinions.
As you have frequently told me before, I am a softy who just does what everyone else wants to keep the peace. I hate confrontation and so to come over to you would be the last thing I would have felt comfortable with.
What happened did upset me and Lydia but I wasnt sure if once again I was being a whoosy, and so rather than name you, I just wanted some honest opinions as to whether I was just being a grump.
Maybe next time I will grow a pair of balls.

The trouble is perspective. The chaos and anger you portray is not something that I recognise from the situation but is your interpretation of events. Whilst you did not identify me, I knew very much that it was aimed directly at me and I am offended by the slant you have put on the situation. Did you really think I wouldnt be offended when I read it?

As far as I was concerned I was asking the horses to get the hell out of the area they arent allowed in - chasing away and 'making the right thing easy but the wrong thing hard' are not the same as being angry and punishing them for trashing the fence which they hadnt anyway - they'd jumped it.

The reason I eventually chased them toward the corner nearest your field was because thats where the charger is and therefore the easiest place to split the fence to let them out as Cali was refusing to go back the way she came in. Rosie is well aware she isnt meant to be in there as she will not allow me to catch her - the minute she crosses the fence into the bit shes meant to be in, she will happily walk to me to be haltered so its not the case that she didnt know she was in the wrong. Generally if shes in there I chase her off, she jumps back over the fence and we carry on as normal.

I wasnt angry nor were they galloping like loonies. I was being assertive and I have no intention of apologising for that. Nor were they being 'punished' and quite frankly i resent the suggestion that that's what I was doing. If you were concerned, as I said you could have talked to me - no confrontation required, a neighbourly word across the fence would have sufficed. There was no need for you to get off, it was obvious whatever I was doing wasnt going to last long and you couldve stayed at the other end of the field for 10 minutes.

Ive made the point that thats not what was happening and that Im unhappy that you couldnt speak to or contact me directly so dont think theres much more to say.

newrider.com