Bad horse flies this year

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
This past two days they have been such a menace! I have yet another bite on my rump and now one in my knuckle!!! They are truly vile and just about one of the only creatures I consider myself perfectly justified in killing!!!!
Are you guys finding them troublesome this year? They have only just appeared this past two days - wish there was a human fly rug available.....

They have been TERRIBLE here for weeks. Much worse than last year - perhaps because we had such a wet spring.

Vile things, I wish they were all dead! :devil:

They've just appeared in the last couple of days here aswell. Hate them! I tried to sunbathe in the field yesterday afternoon, and was all but dozing off when flipo approached and brought a swarm of the damn things with him. Within ten seconds I was on my feet running away. They are evil. You don't know they are there and then they cut you, they don't bite, they bloody cut! Why?!!!!!!!

I think they've been around here for at least a month, only started actually seeing them in the last week, the evidence has been pretty obvious with the tell tale sign of big lumps..

Bloody things appeared down here on the Cotswolds about 2 weeks ago & yes, they are worse than usual. I'm hoping that the season will be shorter this year if they are all coming out at once. SO it's fly rugs all round - even in this heat. Otherwise Josh & his field mate are just hareing round the field! Even Josh, who is not fond of fly sprays & cream, is coming up & demanding attention whenever he sees me....... poor boy!

My girl came from Ireland via Ayrshire and she was covered in bites i think the flies in the South of Scotland are def worse than the ones where i am as she has very little bites this year. I am lucky or unlucky as there is a constant wind where i am as it is nicked named windy willocks so that keeps the flies away most of the times, unfortunately in the winter it blows a bloody hurricane.

Two of my poor donkeys have raw swelling under the corner of their eyes, I thought it was flys biting and infecting them...I watched today and it is bloody horse flys doing the damage. I am slathering them in sudocream but the area is getting more bloody and more puffy. Bit worried actually, might be a vet visit if no improvement in a day or two. I cant put face masks on them, because the little devils tear them off each other!:frown:

Tis a very bad year for them this year.:devil:

Absolutely dreadful. I have a bite on my hand from last weekend that is still red and lumpy. Rode this morning from new yard - later than I would have preferred at 8am with others. Was constantly squashing them on both him and I - have to say he is a diamond. He swishes his tail violently when one lands on him and we work in tandem - he swishes and I squash! My TB's on the other hand were dangerous with them - you could easily end up in a hedge in their franticness to get them off.

Hit here too in last few days with temp rising and just nasty vile creatures :furious:

Freak my two out and they are tortured bless them :cry:

newrider.com