Bad habits riding...

ponylover88

Jul 12, 2004
What bad habits do you have?

I tend to ride one handed with my left arm chilling when hacking
I have a great ability to sit while jumping Gem ... Something to do with her unpredictability and big jump!

I am terrible at not keeping my head up. I don't neccessarily feel im looking down but it's definitely not a good habit lol

Too many to mention!!
- Legs too far forward
- Shoulders twisted
- Core not tight
- Looking down
- Turning hands over as if pushing pram
And about 1000 other faults. (Sigh.....)

out of interest those who have the issue of struggling to keep their legs back underneath them could it be a saddle issue? Some older saddles especially don't keep your lower leg under you as the stirrup bars are too far forwards.

Pram hands, and depending on who you ask, reins too long, but I don't see that as a fault, or the fact that I ride one handed.

I ride with my stirrup leathers jumping length which it turn affects my position, its a habit I'm aware of and have been guilty of since being a teenager, and if having a lesson or doing dressage I lengthen my stirrup leathers but always creep back to my old ways:( (No doubt there will be a ton of other things but that I would say is my worst bad habit) x

I get on and off the wrong side.
Getting my legs round is awkward on a rotund hippo type.
Dropping contact half way over a jump, don't yet know how or why yet.

On the ground
Leading on the other side, letting her walk behind.

I get on and off the wrong side.
Getting my legs round is awkward on a rotund hippo type.
Dropping contact half way over a jump, don't yet know how or why yet.

On the ground
Leading on the other side, letting her walk behind.

I don't think getting on or off any side is wrong that is just the BHS way and having two ponies one is always 'on the wrong side'

When training with the military you always get off on the off side due to wearing a sword and after breaking my left ankle I am glad I can get on either side or I would never have ridden during my rehab

newrider.com