Bad back

Laura_107

Oct 15, 2010
Edinburgh
I've managed to out my back out. Mucked out last Wednesday morning all fine, went home to have breakfast and could barely get off the sofa!

It was back to normal by the weekend, but I was still having to muck out everyday, and helped out a friend on Sunday which meant mucking out 5 horses.

Come Monday I flew offshore and it went again when I was carrying my bag from the helicopter (not picking it up, but I swapped hands, so it was obviously a movement rather than weight). It was seriously painful, but I knew getting on with things would make it better.

Has anyone got any tips for helping it get better? I have to muck out everyday (or pay someone else to do it). I already have the long handled fibreglass shavings fork for mucking out. But almost everything to do with horses involves lifting....haynets, tack, feed bags.

My job is mainly office based, but I also do inspections which frequently involve climbing, and scrambling around industrial sites

I think with your back it depends on the injury/problem. You might be best trying to get some physio for it and nip it in the bud now. I know a good few people who didn't get their back seen to and gradually their problem has got worse to the point that they always complaining of a sore back. Maybe get someone to muck out for a week to give yourself a break from the worse of it?

I agree about avoiding all lifting and work where you put pressure on your back while it is curved (one tends to bend forward when lifting poo).
But as a desk worker myself, I suggest that you need to look at this. I wrecked my back writing a book and the longer I spend at the computer the more trouble I have. Apart from your chair, think of getting up and walking around at least once every 2 hours and the same on long car journeys.
Be careful at home watching TV or sitting on public transport that you are properly balanced and supporting yourself on your seat bones (like one does on a horse). No flopping down onto a soft seat.
I had physio on the NHS ,many years ago - but my excellent physio therapist tried many things over a long period. And warned me about the damage done by consultant, medical students and other therapists when examining people with bad backs! My daughter who is a surgeon recently did her back in, much like you, it sounds. Being a Medic she had help at hand which may interest you.
She had some time off operating. She went to a free back class at the local hospital and gave me a useful sheet of back exercises from that class.
She also then went privately to a pilates private consultation recommended by her GP.
She bought a foam back support to use when sitting at the table at home. When I visit and sit in the chair with it on, I feel that allit does is to remind me to sit correctly.
I hope this is useful.

I know what you mean, I find not using a fork when mine is really bad is better, some marigolds and crouching to pick up and drop into the barrow, or use a small bucket or basket to get t from floor to barrow, but it does depend on what you have done, mine is irritated by repetitive movements with load (which of course is amplified by the leverage of using a fork). For everything else, put it in a wheel barrow, even hay nets so the load is balanced and you can stand straight.
Do you have a Pilates ball? perhaps replacing your desk chair with one, or sitting on one at home for dinner instead of a dining chair will help. I just had a private rider pilates lesson and it was great, well worth the money to help teach me how to be better balanced in general life as well as when riding.

newrider.com