Bad accident=V.V sick pony

horsy

Sep 17, 2000
Manchester
www.jbphotographyonline.co.uk
I am really upset about this, but i want to ask you something.

On teusday night, My friend Sam was at the field where we keep our horses. She was talking to her friends, when all of a sudden the two mares, Sammy (sams pony) and Beth (my horse) started backing up and putting their bums to each other, squealing like mares do. All of a sudden beth gave a huge kick and sent sammy somersaulting through the air. Sam & her friends thought that would be it but as soon as sammy landed on all four hooves, she was charging for beth like something possesed.She kicked & kicked, both barrels. Beth was trying to run away but sammy just wouldnt let it go. Sam had to go in and try to split it up. Everyone said that they had seen horses fight before, but never as viciously as that.

Well, she managed to get them into seperate fields, and then saw that blood was pouring from beths leg. She called the vet and she put an emergency dressing on it, so we could get her across the road to the stables. (They arent on the same farm.) When she got onto the bridle way she went into shock and started trying to lie down, as if her legs were giving way. They managed to get her to the stables where another vet came and put a proper dressing on it. It was a huge gaping cut in her fetlock and you could see all of the muscles in it. It was touch & go wether she would survive the night and she did, and i went to sort her out yesterday. She is fine, and walking on it ok. If it gets infected though, then she will probably have to b put down. Sammy also has a graze on her leg, but its not as bad. The vet is coming 2day & i am dreading it. I was just wondering if any 1 could think why they would just start fighting when they were really good friends. They werent in season, i dont think. They are in the field with a yearling gelding and a 4 month old colt, but they generally stay away from them.

Sorry that this is such a long message!! I will tell u what the vet says this afternoon. Wish us luck. horsy xxx :(

What a nasty thing to happen. Best of luck to both you and Beth.

I don't know if this will help, but there was quite a good article this month (?) in horse magazine about a horse with serious leg injuries and how they treated it. It might be worth a look.

Please let us know how you get on.

Fiona

Oh No!

Best of luck to you and Beth! I sincerely hope all goes well after a violent fight like that! You must have been really scared! I know I would have been!

I don't know what possessed Beth to kick in the first place, or for Sammy to charge at her? Probably out of anger that Beth just kicked her? Perhaps Beth was giving a play kick at first, but then it got out of hand? But why kick so hard......

Well, when Beth heals, I would keep them away, friends or not! Just to be safe!

Good Luck!
Let Use Know How She Is Throughout The Week!
Maci :)

Hey!

Hi! thanx 4 the replies. I hav already read that article. Isnt it great how he healed?
Anyway, the vet came 2day, and she is very pleased with her progress. She says it will just leave a scar, and it is not going to affect her in any way when it heals. Great or what! She changed the dressing today, and the staples are still ok, there is just a bit of dead tissue around the cut. I hav to do it myself on sunday (ugh) and she said that the staples will probably have come out by then, so it will be more gory and bloody when i do it! (more ugh!)

She is walking on it really well though. She was really well behaved for the vet. She can put all of her weight on it & rest her other back leg without a problem. She is on Beaut, and another type of painkiller.

Oh, and we have found a cut on sammy too, but the vet cleand it up & said it wasnt bad. Somebody is going to buy her! One of my friends is having her.

I will keep on updating u with anything that happens.
horsy xxx :)

Good Health Is Great!

I'm glad that Beth is alright! There's nothing worse than having to worry about a loved one's health (in this case, your horse)!

Maci :)

I'm really glad she's all right, horsy. Being kicked in the field seems to be the most frequent sort of accident, often between horses that are friends. I don't know why they do it, or how you can guard against it. Some people insist on keeping their horses alone, but I don't think that's the answer.

Beth

Hi guys! the vet came today, and he is really chuffed with the way her leg is healing. He took some staples out, and explained to me that the end of the flap of skin that came of has died beacuse there was not enough blood going to it, but the other 2/3 of it is healing nicely. Just that bit that is dead will have to grow new skin, which will take a while, but it should grow. She is on no painkillers now, and she is walking fine. After the cut has healed, it wont affect her in any way, except for cosmetics. it will leave a scar. She may be going back to her original owner though, but we have learned not to take her word too seriously by now!

luv horsy xxx

Beth is ok

Hiya all! Vet came the other day. Hes really chuffed with it, and says unless it swells up that is the las time he needs to see her. He took all of the staples out. As soon as she gets her shoe replaced she can b turned out for a bit! yay! Cant ride her 4 ages though coz she still has a bit of rain scald. Another thing the owner didnt tell uss about. Does any one kow how 2 get rid of it?? horsyxxx

newrider.com