Backing Pebbles

amandal

Feb 12, 2004
Somerset
I first got on board Bank Holiday Monday. :D

Just up and off a couple of times and a few walks forward. Since then we've been working roughly every other day, we've had walk and trot on the lunge, we've had the woman on the ground moving away from us and recently I've been steering and using my legs (v scary the first time as it resulted in bucks). Halt / walk transitions are great. Rode her again earlier this week and managed to keep her going forwards rather than spinning round at her "sticky" corners in the school.

Need to try a "moving forwards" trot, rather than her rather cute "looking after mummy" trot which we've had so far and unfortunately haven't ridden much this week as have had some late ones at work. Will be getting back on at some point this weekend.

Here are some pics - this was about the 3rd time I'd got on.

Attachments

• both april 09.jpg
    both april 09.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 64
  • april 09.jpg
    april 09.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 1 riding april 09.jpg
    1 riding april 09.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 2 riding april 09.jpg
    2 riding april 09.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 78
  • trotting april 09.jpg
    trotting april 09.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 70
sorry about the mixed up order :)

Here are some more of the session

Attachments

• pebbles April 09 week 1 of backing_web.jpg
    pebbles April 09 week 1 of backing_web.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 34
  • standing april 09.jpg
    standing april 09.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 41
Mine was also started bank hol monday. So far we have been really really lucky with her. No bucking or any nasties. She is now pretty good in walk trot canter. I have someone braver than me doing the riding, and today I had my first 'proper' ride. Was amazing to be cantering on something that I have waited so long to ride!:D

It's great isn't it :D, sitting on her for the first time was amazing. The first few sessions were great, no problems. Then I started to lose it mentally when she was "exploring boundaries" :D, the girl helping me has been great and helps to put problems into focus, keeping me sane !

Quick update - Saturday got back on. It went really well initially, including 2 lovely circuits of trot, nice forward movement, I began to rise and after losing her balance a bit she got used to that which is a great improvement. I sat her bucks - while she's finding her balance.

We were in the outdoor school too which is only the 2nd time she's been in it, it's near to the road going through the yard - down to the xc course - near the workshops that are rented out and is very busy and noisy. Plus Ziz was calling to her every few minutes. She coped with all that fine. I was really happy.

Unfortunately she got her legs in a bit of a knot and reared, I sat this but went out the side door when she lurched forward as I was growling at her to go on forwards. I have a very sore cocyx and couldn't ride for the rest of the Bank Holiday Weekend, and am still having trouble moving/sitting which is a bit poo.

Taking the opportunity to double check everything's ok, getting her (locking) stifle checked out just to make sure. She has tended to stick a bit, after about 2 circuits on the lunge she starts spinning and I'm just making sure (again) that everything's ok. When the vet came out a few weeks ago to check her teeth she had a cursory glance at her stifle and said she was sure it was just locking. She also said then she would need rasping/wolf teeth removing but that I had about 4 weeks grace.

newrider.com