backing my 13h NF pony, im worried im going to squish her

MinnieMoo<3

Aug 28, 2010
Cambridgshire
Hi there, we had a plan to get a saddle on out new forest pony this summer, and we are still determined to do it, even if summer is nearly over. we have found a saddle that fits! (shes a bit roly poly and not wanting to spend to much money a 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th maybe) hand thoroughgood came to the rescue

we did have a girth but it was to big so we have ordered a new one for her from robinsons which will hopefully arrive on tuesday.

but im a bit worried im going to squish her when it comes to sitting on her, im 5ft 5 and weigh 8 and half stone but little Minnie is only 13h (and even then i think were a bit optimistic when we measure her!)

she is 3 years (and 3 months if we want to be exact! ) and its only going to be sitting on her, with maybe her being led a few steps , then we are going to let her eat grass over winter and do more with her when spring comes (it seems a million miles away :help: )

im new on here, so :wavespin:

thanks for reading

We did the weight calculation for our 12hh pony who is old and he can comfortably carry your weight so good luck and give it a go. I chickened out of backing our shire this summer, I could make 2 of you and its a lot more than you it is a lot further to fall off ( i'm in the process of nagging OH to get on).:bounce:

We did the weight calculation for our 12hh pony who is old and he can comfortably carry your weight so good luck and give it a go. I chickened out of backing our shire this summer, I could make 2 of you and its a lot more than you it is a lot further to fall off ( i'm in the process of nagging OH to get on).:bounce:

You'll probably find backing your shire a doddle:wink:

Emily was, did it without realising that she had never been ridden, now its her daughter Peggy's turn. My friend was going to back her NF but they are waiting to see if she is going to have a foal or not.:frown:

thanks for all the comments, im feeling a lot more comfortable with the idea now, just got to wait for the girth to arrive! ill try and work out how to post pictures on here when i get round to sitting on her! im quite looking forward to it now :giggle:

13hh NF of good conformation and type ought to gallop off with 12 stone with a smile on her face!

'eeek' im really looking forward to it now!!! Minnie has had a roller on all done up fine and has had the saddle placed on and loosely done up (as tightly as the girth went anyway) so hopefully she is going to be a good girl, i have set my self a deadline of thursaday to sit on her, not sure if thats a bit optimistic but it will be done!!!

to wally - i think we will stick to just walking for now! but hopefully at some point we will be able to gallop with a smile on our faces!

to NativeLover - good point, i loved watching that program, shame it was only 2 episodes!

and to notpoodle, well done! i saw your post earlier, she is one very pretty pony!

you could always jump on bareback to begin with, that way she wont have to worry about the saddle AND a person at the same time?

appleh has been wearing a roller for nearly a year for longreining, was used as a saddlerack for angel's saddle and has worn a little saddle as well - she doesnt care! yours sounds like a similar kind :) good luck and have fun :)

Worry not, my chap was 13.2hh nf when i backed him.

I am now backing an 11.1hh and a 12.3hh ish measurements.

I weigh the same as you, you won't squish anything.

picture.php

I also backed the coloured chap and he was a huge 9hh, he could for england!

you could always jump on bareback to begin with, that way she wont have to worry about the saddle AND a person at the same time?

appleh has been wearing a roller for nearly a year for longreining, was used as a saddlerack for angel's saddle and has worn a little saddle as well - she doesnt care! yours sounds like a similar kind :) good luck and have fun :)

thanks for that idea, ill give it a try bareback :happy:! i was going to do it today but today things have been a bit busy, but i will get on tomorrow! the girth still hasnt arrived, phoned up robinsons, hasnt even been picked from their warehouse yet! tuesday last week i ordered, im not happy, "it should arrive by the end of the week, if you still havent got it friday give us a ring" so it will definately be bareback before saddle! i cant wait till friday, robinsons :yellowcarded:

and to newforest that little chap looks so sweet! and tiny! your feet must of nearly been touching the floor!

its going to be so weird sitting on her just cos of her height, i have only ridden 1 other horse in the 18 months ive had the 16.1 in my signiture and that other horse was a 14.3 i rode for about 20 minutes when me and a friend swapped horses half way round the hack! (it was nice not having to lower stirrup 5 holes to get on! :giggle: as i do with Annie)

any way, tomorrow she shall be sat on :biggrin:

i did it! went down at 5, wasnt sure if she would be happy about going into the school at 5 but she didnt mind. leaned over her first but slipped down and then got a leg up on her, she seemed a tad confused but she didnt mind, we asked her to walk on, she stood still (she is normally really good at responding to voice but i suppose having a weight on her back she probably wasnt listening) i was being lead so she did walk on (me holding onto her mane just in case!) fortunately the just in case didnt happen and she took a few steps before we said woah and i sat there for a minute or so making a fuss of her and then got off and gave her a big cuddle and a pat :biggrin:

however about the photos... my camera is refusing to turn on atm so i took my phone, normally my phone has one of the tinny micro sd cards in but that sd card is currently in my laptop from the last time i was transferring pics, so even though i could take photos and store on phone memory, i dont have a clue how to put them on computer :( but next time i will make sure the memory card is in my phone, hoping to get on her again on thursday bareback as im out all day tomorrow, so pictures will follow soon ...

i did it! went down at 5, wasnt sure if she would be happy about going into the school at 5 but she didnt mind. leaned over her first but slipped down and then got a leg up on her, she seemed a tad confused but she didnt mind, we asked her to walk on, she stood still (she is normally really good at responding to voice but i suppose having a weight on her back she probably wasnt listening) i was being lead so she did walk on (me holding onto her mane just in case!) fortunately the just in case didnt happen and she took a few steps before we said woah and i sat there for a minute or so making a fuss of her and then got off and gave her a big cuddle and a pat :biggrin:

however about the photos... my camera is refusing to turn on atm so i took my phone, normally my phone has one of the tinny micro sd cards in but that sd card is currently in my laptop from the last time i was transferring pics, so even though i could take photos and store on phone memory, i dont have a clue how to put them on computer :( but next time i will make sure the memory card is in my phone, hoping to get on her again on thursday bareback as im out all day tomorrow, so pictures will follow soon ...

Congratulations, you did it well done.:biggrin:

newrider.com