backing and breaking a youngster

sam_pring

xx Smo and Tor xx
Aug 10, 2003
Exeter, Devon
Visit site
i have just got a 4 yr old sec d. I have backed and broken youngsters before with support, this is the first time i have done it on my own (i have an experienced person at the end of a phone though and also the yard he is at break and school horses for a living so i do have a lot of support)

i just want to make sure i am doing things right. I was told he had been backed towards the end of last year, (i am not so sure about this so have gone back to the beginning anyway) i have lunged him in saddle and bride, and have now started to put pressure on the stirrup and lean across the saddle so he is holding my weight, i do this every day and lean over him twice for about 30 seconds each time. I do this in the stable, what would you recommend is the next step? when i lean over him he moves around but doesnt do anything else i.e no bucking etc. He turns round to eat my foot!! and yesterday even took a nibble out of his haynet while i was lying across him! so i think he is quite relaxed. I try to stay leaning over him until he stands still and then jump off.

anyway what should i do next?

thanks! thats a good idea. I have a non horsey bf who will prob lead me but thing is if he does anything he hasnt got the experience to know what to do, suppose it doesnt really matter, i can just jump off!!!

Backing and breaking ponies on my own for many years (OH not really interested in horses, though he can ride), I found a very helpful technique was to get the horse used to seeing you well above him, doing all sorts of things.

So having him (safely) tied, or held next to, to a post and rail fence or similar, or a high ladder-stile over a dry-stone wall, then climbing up the fence or stile to sit on top of it and move around, is a good and easy desensitising technique. It enables your horse to get familiar and comfortable with you being 'up there' rather than 'down here'.

thanks for that tip, i think he does need some help with that. the first time i tried to lean over him i stood on a mounting block and he really didnt like it so now i get on him from the floor, just make the stirrup really long!!

echo old woman - i had a TBx once that had a fear of thing higher than him, so i spent weeks standing on a chair brushing him, leaning over, tickling etc. Made a good base for getting on.

Admittedly took a few days to stop him flying off when a chair or block was put by him but he came round :)

newrider.com