Back to having horse full time

Nov 4, 2008
For the last year and a half I have had a sharer for my horse (1 for a year and another one over the last few months) and this has worked very well, I am currently studying and have about 3 years left before I am fully qualified. I have also recently got a new job which involves an hour commute each way so having a sharer has been a godsend as I also have a dog so a lot to balance!
Now current sharer is moving on and i am in a debate about what to do, my horse is very laid back confidence giver type which means that people tend to 'progress' onto more forward horses. I do need another sharer but worried that i will just get a string of people for a few months then they move on which i dont think is fair on my horse.
Realistically i dont have time to give him 100% as between working, studying and the dog time is tight and i have just been hacking on the weekends (sometimes not even then as too tired from the weekdays). I dont really want to sell even though it would be easier without the time/commitment needed as i have confidence issues so i know i would never find a horse as safe as him...i do enjoy riding him still but find the lack of time puts a strain on it
Any words of wisdom?

Reactions: squidsin
It sounds like you need another sharer, or even two! It's hard to get reliable sharers but if you have a confidence-giver, you have the best shot of getting decent sharers. Maybe they do move on after a few months but a few months isn't too bad really. Most people who want something more forward they could compete on would surely be looking at buying their own? Everyone I know who wants to share just wants something safe and fun they can hack out on (which isn't as easy to find as you might think as lots of people advertising for sharers do it because they're struggling to cope alone with a more difficult horse than they'll admit to!)

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Thanks for your reply Squidsin, he is definitely safe but sometimes not that fun to ride as he can be very ploddy (but wakes up hacking in company...sometimes!) but has a heart of gold and will look after absolutely anyone (have had extreme novice to retired lady riding him)
I will try finding another sharer and maybe wait until the spring to make a more permanent decision about what I will do, although I do think I will have to sell him eventually as only giving him part attention for the next 3 years doesn't seem very fair to him

Maybe you could loan him out if you can't find a sharer for him?

I guess I'd be looking ahead, after the studying is done. Would you be happy carrying on and having fun on him? If you sold, would you regret it? I barely saw my boys weekdays for the five years I worked an hour from home. But I'd never have sold as I knew I wanted to change jobs and move them home. That has now happened and I'd be truly heartbroken if I'd sold either of them prior to circumstances changing. A sharer sounds a good option to me. Maybe make it clear you want long term, tie it into an agreement/contract etc.

My first thought is a sharer/loaner for a year. Or just turn away for a year/six months. See what happens.
Not everyone wants to move on. If you found a happy hacker type, maybe retired person who just enjoys a safe horse it can work.
I don't want to move on from mine, just spent time training and educating her to be calm and quiet. I don't need too forward, I like to look at the view I go past :)

At the end of the day all horses really care about is being fed and watered and having horsey company and shelter, they really don't mind if the aren't ridden or groomed daily. I would look for a sharer, and if it's not a financial worry, be picky and wait for the right person to come along who's going to be with you longer than a month or two. As NF said an older person, perhaps a mum wanting to get back in the saddle now the kids are at school who will appreciate a nice safe horse who doesn't take masses of work and risk.

Apart from getting another sharer or someone to loan, all I thought of is could you consider a working livery at a riding school (although not as financially appealing perhaps)? If your horse is a super safe ploddy type, that might be just what a riding school would want.

Like newforest said, an older person might just want a nice calm, safe as houses type, so if you advitised as such you might find someone who'll stick around longer?

Your horse sounds perfect to me! I shared several horses before I got my own and all I wanted was a safe, straightforward ride (which I did actually find). There are many people out there who would love to share your horse I am sure.

However, if in your heart of hearts you don't want to committment anymore, there is no shame in re-homing him. Or put him out on long term loan.

He is my ideal horse (when he is fit so not captain plod) such a lovely character & pretty much the only horse i feel safe on and will try stuff on, i have decided to keep him and get another sharer, luckily someone on my yard is retiring her horse due to injury and loves kennedy so had a ride on him today and is going to share him a few days a week :) so that takes the pressure off me as she will be down for her horse everyday anyway so said she can check kennedy in field if im ever stuck for time on 'my days'

What a super solution to your dilema, how lovely that it's someone from your yard too :) really pleased for you.

Thanks it is very good timing! Apparently Kennedy has got a rep for being a good lad as someone else had said they'd be interested if the person from my yard hadn't shared him, feel very lucky as everything was getting overwhelming but now I can see things will be fine :)

newrider.com