Back to basics with Hogan

@Huggy did you once say he'd had a bad time in his past? I wonder if there's some tiny common factor to these incidents, something so small you maybe don't notice it but that reminds him of a bad incident and so he reacts. Not helpful I know, I'm just thinking out loud, but maybe after an episode try to identify every tiny thing leading up to it. As an example early on Luka would get very tense and shake if I shifted slightly looking over my shoulder for traffic, with what I now know I suspect he was expecting a thrashing - could there be some connection like that in his head?
Thank you!! That IS helpful - exactly that thought has gone through my mind more than once. It feels as though something I'm completely unaware of has set him off. I don't know what his life was before he came to the UK, his passport is blank as far as Ireland is concerned - just his birth then nothing until he was over here, 4 years before I bought him. To me, that in itself is suspicious - 8 blank years.

Also, he's VERY wary of strangers, but only on his stable - fine while out and about.

Of course I agree with everyone about the pain issues, and as Sid bucked with me for 3 months before I realised his saddle was hurting I know it can happen. But I would also suggest, cautiously, that if you know of a good listener or communicator you ask him or her to come and have a listen to Hogan? They might be able to pick something up which would cast some light on what is going on.

I received some unsolicited help from a sensitive person who had seen a picture of Sid and received a strong impression about him - that he was feeling uncertain about whether I was perhaps thinking of moving him on. It struck a chord with me and I acted to reassure him, since when our relationship has come on in leaps and bounds. I know it seems woo-woo and I would never have thought of asking for that help, but it really did help.

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
I absolutely hate to suggest it as I know it’s something you’re already terribly conscious of, and have done wonders with already, but could his weight still be playing into these outbursts? As someone carrying more weight than ideal I certainly notice it some days more than others, and it can definitely make me grouchy and even quite panicky when I’m struggling to do something.
Having said that, if he has these tantrums just because he doesn’t want to walk through mud to the field, it sounds like he’s a bit drama inclined and could be reacting to even a tiny thing he doesn’t like.

Reactions: Huggy
He IS a drama queen about certain things, and I know he's got away with stuff in his past because of his bulk and strength. His weight is an ongoing issue, and I think one thing I'm going to try and do, is to get him out more. It takes much less time to get ready if I'm leading him, so I can intersperse hacks with walk outs. I would love to have a communicator to see him, but there's always that little worry that I end up with a charlatan, a bit like going to see a medium. Just to make his point, he behaved immaculately when I rode him today, despite the fact that I was a bit impatient with his slowness at the start of the ride. It occurred to me today - is he bored? Could it be that simple? I mixed up the ride today, and went totally different routes in a different order.

Reactions: Jessey
If he was a mare I'd have this sussed 😂

What does he do before he explodes, it might be very quiet and subtle and start at the field, you mention you can guage when it's coming so that does suggest his attitude.
If he's one of those sensitive souls, it could be that your saddle is fine, but irritates on occasion. Might be worth looking at the pad and girth - I speak from experience with another sensitive little soul. Watch him when you tack up.

Is he reaching a point where he says, I am done, I am tired, wan't to go back? How fit is he to do what you are currently doing for example? If it's mid ride, is it the same areas?
Or, has something upset him earlier in the day and he's just letting go of it. I am thinking deer, Badger, other horses.
There are days with mine when I arrive to ride, take one look at her and think nope, let trot that off on the lunge!
When you sense he's going to have one of those rides, do something else, he's still doing something and it may refocus him. It will be interesting if he still explodes when you feel he will and you are not actually on board.
Ger someone out to help you with that.

If he was a mare I'd have this sussed 😂

What does he do before he explodes, it might be very quiet and subtle and start at the field, you mention you can guage when it's coming so that does suggest his attitude.
If he's one of those sensitive souls, it could be that your saddle is fine, but irritates on occasion. Might be worth looking at the pad and girth - I speak from experience with another sensitive little soul. Watch him when you tack up.

Is he reaching a point where he says, I am done, I am tired, wan't to go back? How fit is he to do what you are currently doing for example? If it's mid ride, is it the same areas?
Or, has something upset him earlier in the day and he's just letting go of it. I am thinking deer, Badger, other horses.
There are days with mine when I arrive to ride, take one look at her and think nope, let trot that off on the lunge!
When you sense he's going to have one of those rides, do something else, he's still doing something and it may refocus him. It will be interesting if he still explodes when you feel he will and you are not actually on board.
Ger someone out to help you with that.
I used to do that with Storm. If she was looking like she was in coiled spring mode, I'd either lunge her or freeschool. Just something to take the edge off and then I'd feel like I'd done something with her. Sometimes she'd be fine to ride after letting off a bit of steam, others not and I'd just call it a day after lunging.

newrider.com