Back in his own field... and 3 shetlands!

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
Well it didn't last long, but I'm glad, because at least he knows his own territory... One of them has put their foot through the water trough and damaged the electric fencing (wasn't switched on:banghead:) and could easily have got on the lane, as even the barbed wire was snapped:stomp:.. his own field, well! I've had to shut him in the big field, because part of the fencing is missing, and I don't want him mixing with the ponies next door:wub::devil:..
There are new ponies he doesn't know, plus 3 Shetlands.. Am I to worry about what mischief they might get up to?
I know from past dealings, that they are good escape artists, and I really don't want them mixing with Bailey, nothing personal, just he's waiting for his op, and I don't want him to have any added stress, to his already upside down world..
His girlfriend, a small chestnut mare, is back next door, so he'll probably spend time chatting her up again.. It's starting to look like he'll be stabled from this weekend, with possible overnight turn out, to minimise the contact with the horses next door:frown:
This would be my choice, not the yard owner, as I really don't want any unwanted vet bills, and reluctantly I'm being left with no choice, as there isn't really anywhere left safe for him to be turned out on away from mares:frown:
He's surprised me up to now, as despite obviously being stressed by the mares being there, he's kept control, and not had his 'friend' hanging out.. he doesn't like them being taken away, he paces a bit and neighs, but left alone, he will settle..
I'm thankful, that the horses next door are coming in at night, as I'd be a real stress head if they weren't:furious:

Not sure on the whole picture so difficult to comment, but in my experience re shetlands - if you try keeping them out thats when the problems start, if they are allowed to do something they are not really bothered and quickly lose interest, now try to stop them thats just a challenge too much!

In all honesty DS I had a bit of a problem understanding the problem:bounce:

However, can you not Electric Fence between him and the other Horses
to keep him in and the others OUT:biggrin: OR Electric fence a piece for him alone?

Went down this morning, and the only problem was a chestnut mare, who was giving him far too much attention... the Shetlands were at the other side of the field.. they'll be in there til next May, and the grazing is poor, with it having ragwort in and lots of dock... I'm placing bets as to whether problems will start to arise around the end of Jan...

My friend has her Stallion in with her Gelding, there are Mares next door but
after the initial 'excitement' he has taken no notice of them whatsoever until
they are taken out when he 'calls a bit'.

However he soon settles again and then gets a bit 'uppity' when they are brought back.

Maybe its a 'horse leaving' scenario rather than a 'MARE' scenario and he
will settle more as he gets more used to them being there.

Is there not a gelding that could be turned out with him for Company, maybe thats whats causing his 'excitement' because he is on his own.

I apologise if I am completely missing the point you are making...........I would try to integrate him more rather than keep him away
from other Horses full stop.

the Shetlands were at the other side of the field.. they'll be in there til next May, and the grazing is poor, with it having ragwort in and lots of dock... I'm placing bets as to whether problems will start to arise around the end of Jan

I would worry more about poor grazing and ragwort, normally they won't eat it but if there is nothing else - you could have a problem well before january!

Are they all Mares?? I must be missing something - if geldings and take it yours is waiting for the cut then why not mix them.

There's one Mare as far as I know, and she was pally with him in the Spring, but when I saw her this morning, she was practically pushing her bum in his face.. I called him, and she went off, back to the other horses and he responded by getting upset, and running to the shelter, and just stood there shouting for about 10 mins.. he was still stood when I left, but not sure if he was still calling..
He's out with his young companion, who was gelded 3 weeks ago, so he's not alone, I think maybe he likes his 'herd' to be where he can see them, but they prefer eating to talking..
Up to now, touch wood, the Shetlands have behaved themselves, a lot of my worries come from people I know, and my old yard, as the Yard owner didn't want any on, as he used to say they were too much troub le.

Well being the owner of a Sh*tland I can 'sort of' agree:wink:

However, if they have FOOD, i.e. grass, not too much to worry about
its when they run out they will start 'looking' and you may have to take
extra measures then to stop them getting into your field.

When is he due to have his op?

Are they all Mares?? I must be missing something - if geldings and take it yours is waiting for the cut then why not mix them.[/QUOTE]

WHY would you take that risk in all honesty?

Enough unwanted Horses at the moment without taking the risk of
adding to the problem:smoke:

Up until last weekend, there were no horses in that field next door, and they went in Sun.. there is only one as far as I know, the rest are geldings, and unless he can crawl commando style if the miniature Shetland is a mare (what ever he/she is, very small!) The Chestnut mare (Welsh Pony, a little larger than Bailey) is my only problem..
Despite all this, he has behaved very well, he has a deep respect for barbed wire having got his front feet over it, and had to be helped back 18 months ago.. he also plays it safe now, after slipping and taking a small wall out, I guess they really don't forget!
I'm being messed about a bit by the vet he's been referred to, have been waiting 3 weeks for a date, and last week, i ended up contacting them to find out what the delay was.. Apparently they had trouble get a drug needed for the op, and had only just got it that morning..
The vet was going to look at Bailey's case notes Tues morning, then contact me.. and yet again, silence...... My own vet rang me thurs, and asked if I had a date, for which I replied no.. they said they'd ring them again then ring me back in the afternoon.. and guess what? NOBODY has been in touch!!
I'm getting p******! off about all this, he could have been recuperating now :banghead:
It's the lack of communication that upsets me, as I thought this op was important for Bailey's welfare?
He's in for worming tonight, and I'm going to reassess the situation, but I can't see why he should suffer, when none of this is his fault, and to date, he has done nothing to make me stable him up?

newrider.com