Back check ups

sam_pring

xx Smo and Tor xx
Aug 10, 2003
Exeter, Devon
Visit site
How often does everyone have thier horses backs checked?? is it just as and when you feel they need it? or after a set amount of time? Just had my horse done and wondered what everyone else does?

My sadler is trained in allsorts from barefoot trimming to saddle fitting. When she comes to do Joy's back she checks her over physically as a matter of course. I have Joy done at least every 6 months. Last year was more often due to huge fluctuations in her weight.

Molly was done last week - she sees her about every 6 months for a routine check-up unless I notice any problems in between (that was frequency advised by the chiro for us). I think it depends on the horse though - Molly has very little wrong - chiro says she has a strong core and as a result doesn't have much to "fix". We also don't have any saddle issues :)

I've had her 12 months, and in her 2 check ups she's had the same things wrong - Atlas out and slight pelvis mis-alignment. Other horses on the yard are prone to more being "out" and need seeing more regularly.

I have saddle done every 6 months too - and try to have them in synch :)

The only noticeable difference I notice when she has been done is that she stands square all the time. When she needs doing she trails a hind leg.

i have Finn checked at least twice a year. if he's lots of hard work or has been having a few problems then i get the back person out to him. i can email her and tell her the problems etc and she will say whether it's best that she comes out or not, she never sees a horse though without a vets permission and most of her clients are referred to her by the vet.

I have a McT chiro out roughly every six months unless there's a specific issue to address.

thanks, this was the time frame i was thinking (6 months) mine was slightly tight in his back, physio thinks its most likely because hes a newly backed horse and therefore his muscles became slightly tight.

I have a McTimoney Chiro who is fab, he comes out every 6 weeks for Skippy (but that's because of a specific issue which Skippy has due to an injury before I bought him) and although Soda only really needs checking ever 6 months, given that I pay a set call-out fee plus extra per horse/treatment and chiro doesn't charge me if nothing really needs doing I do ask him if he'll check Soda as well every other time or so depending on whether I think something needs doing.

Archie is seen every six weeks at the moment, Stumpy & Robbie are every six months, am hoping that Archie will progress to eery six months too!

newrider.com