"back at the knee" aka calf-kneed - how much activity is too much?

Peace

pAin't Nobody's Bidness
Nov 12, 1999
South Carolina, US
Visit site
Quanah, my ten year old paint horse, was out of work for three years. As was I - out of the saddle, I mean. So we both recently started lessons with a very experienced knowledgeable RI/trainer. Who pointed out to me that Quanah, on his off fore, is calf-kneed. The hoof on that leg is even slightly smaller than the other.

He's been a bit off and sore - but of course it was difficult to tell whether it was due to his bad farrier trim and foot fungus (I've since switched farriers and we're correcting this), or coming back into work (he was fat and out-of-shape) or if it was the conformational defect.

RI has been giving him bute - maybe a gram every two to three days - and once after a two-hour trail ride (followed up by Quanah galloping of his own accord around the pasture) he was very stiff and sore and off on that leg, so she stall-rested him overnight and gave him a couple of days off work.

He's now lost most of the weight he needed to lose and muscled up, plus his farrier problems are being corrected. But at the start of my last lesson, I could feel him "missing" on that leg. RI said to keep walking and trotting and he'd work out of it - and he did. After the lesson, he felt good enough to chase the new mare around and around the paddock at a gallop.:rolleyes:

RI says no jumping (other than the occasional tiny cross-rail), no turns on the haunches or forehand, no small circles, and no short halts. But other than that, we're ok to do whatever we want.

Other folks act as though I'm a horse-abuser for not retiring him immediately.

In between are those who say he should be used only for gentle trail-riding.

IMO, letting him get fat and out-of-shape again would be bad for him. And he's one of those air-fern ponies who need to be ridden to manage their weight.

So I thought I'd ask the opinion of those here. How would you limit the activity of a calf-kneed horse?

Being back at the knee, or calf kneed is a pretty serious problem and it's difficult to keep the horse sound. Basically because of the angle of the leg, the knee joint doesn't have sufficient support and this makes the knee prone to bone chips. Bearing this in mind, any ridden work has to be kept light and stress free - i.e. only ever walk if the ground is hard, and keep on as many straight lines as possible! You've already said you won't be jumping which is a sensible decision - jumpping is a definate no-no. One of the other great stress factors for the knee is speed, so avoid galloping at all costs, and when doing any gait other than walk try to keep the horse controlled and balanced. Also avoid any sharp turns.

It's good that you've changed farriers as good farriery is imperative with this condition. Other than that - good luck :)

Ack- just heard from the farrier

He says not only is Quanah slightly calf-kneed, he is also a bit club-footed on that leg.:eek: So we have the double problem of a steep pastern angle and corresponding concussion at the toe, and the hyperextension in the knee. *sigh*

So farrier says we are going to keep the heels low and roll the toes. Also, he agrees with you, HorseBird, that we should minimize contact with hard ground, especially while we're adjusting the hoof. Luckily, where I board there is an indoor with soft, cushy footing, so farrier says we should limit his workouts to the indoor right now, with maybe just a few minutes outside. He says we may possibly be able to increase his time outside, but it must be done gradually and if we see any soreness, then we drop back to the last level of work at which he was comfortable.

Farrier says, actually, that lunging would be a good thing in small doses. He says its imperative to keep him moving, to strengthen the ligaments and muscles. Farrier lunged him today and said "You know, he acted like he didn't know how.":p:D

Argh. Poor little Quanah. But I'm thankful I didn't let him continue being a fat pasture puff - farrier confirms that would've been the worst thing for him.

Oh dear :eek: At least it sounds like you have a decent farrier who is willing to try and get the foot as good as possible without just writing him off. It's going to be a matter of trial and error to find a workload that he's comfortable with.

If you're going to lunge though, keep the circles large ;)

newrider.com