B*****r!! She wont eat it!

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Well the Formula 4 Feet arrived today - so mixed the dose in with her little bit of HIFiLite - dampened down with water as usual. She sniffed it - then carried on eating it whilst I changed her rugs - looked down and there is the handful of half soft formula nuts left in the bucket!:devil: Tried feeding it dry from my hand, sniff, sniff, curled lip - no THANKYOU missus!:banghead:

So - question is I have mixed up a bit of sugar beet pulp to try mixing it into tomorrow - hope the sweetness might take away the taste. But I am paranoid about getting lammi since the steroid jab - do you think just half a scoop of pulp will be an issue?

Or/and if this doesn't work any other ideas what to mix it with? She is a rather dainty eater so needs a bit of encouragement with anything she isnt too keen on.

JJ on the other hand came in and polished it off for her in one greedy mouthful.:redface::biggrin:

Mine are not overly keen on their foot supp but eat it eventually.
Small amount of beet shouldnt do any harm.
I would maybe try introducing it very, very gradually.i.e one pellet (I assume its pellets?) at a time over a week or so.
Maybe sprinkle with mint if she likes this.
I would imagine something so good for you must take rank!

Stevie loved F4F - he'd eat it from my hand. Perhaps try offering it as a treat? Failing that, I think half a scoop of beet is neither here nor there - Truffs used to clean up everyone's leftover breakfasts in winter; usually equated to a scoop of Calm and Condition and a scoop of speedi beet :)

ETA: I've just re-read and see you've tried handfeeding! Oops!
Try adding mint, or grated apples and carrots, or perhaps feed it mixed with hot water to make it more palatable? Grind it up, erm......
*is out of ideas*

When i first introduced brewers yeast Scarlet ate a few mouthfuls then launched the feed bucked over the stable door! much to the amusement of other folk on the yard. (forgot to add it was mixed in with beet, healthy hoof, 2 carrots and an apple)

She eats the full scoop in her dinner now no bother but I did introduce it very very gradually after than over a period of 2 weeks.

Ive had this with Ed, with some supps. The suggestion of starting with a smaller portion has worked in the past and mint is good too (look on eBay).

Good luck ... Hope you get it sorted!

I would use Speedibeet instead of sugarbeet. It is recommended for those prone to lammy and only takes 10 mins. to soak. My lammy prone mare has a scoop both morning and evening.

Excellent - thanks for that I shall get some - only intend giving her half a scoop but even so...:wink:

alfa beet would be my choice, even more lami friendly.

or a sugar free mint cordial, even lime some like.

can try a myriad of things if they are sugar free tbh

newrider.com