Avon Skin So Soft for sweet itch

em23

Sep 11, 2004
north yorkshire moors
Visit site
I have heard about SSS body lotion for preventing fly bites on humans but recently I have seen several references in magazines to its success with Sweet Itch. Apparently you dilute it and spray it on, rubbing into the mane and tail. Has anyone tried it?

Em

Its the SSS Dry oil body spray... its on special offer at the moment, 3 bottles for 6 quid. 15 bottles will see you through the summer.

My Dales grew a full mane back with it!

We have used the moisturiser for years to stop bites, it certain discourages all sorts of flying insects. Cant comment on sweet itch as my horses dont have it but makes a good fly repellent on neck, face and ears

my hubby swears by this as a repellent when fishing! given the price of a bottle of effol I reckon I might give it a go! With sweet itch if you can keep the flies away thats half the battle:D

Ditto, greeen bottle.

I put it on my Pones mane, tail and undercariage every evening. Sort of divide the mane every cuple of inches and squirt!

It is oil based so make sure you get a fine mist in the hair. It could fry the pony in strong sunlight if it is suqirted directly on to the skin and exposed to strong sunlight.

It also conditions and detangles the hair! No need for mane and tail detangler:D

Ive used it on mine as a fly repellent and its worked for me, although I use the pink bottle.
I also used on my section a oilatum which is an oil you put in the bath, I applied neat to her mane as it was greasy it stopped her itching and rehydrated her skin, its not dear and available from chemist

Benzyl Benzoate is better for sweetitch and is a licensed pharmacy product...It's better known as Derbac M the treatment for Scabies in humans.

Skin-so-soft may well work on the odd pony for SI, but it may also cause a worse reaction than that of the midge bite...

ditto julz - benzyl benzoate. i also put calomine lotion in with my fly spray. sss i used to use as mane and tail but attracts dust real easy.

I've just bought two bottles from an avon shop on ebay. £5 for the two. Its Avon SSS dry oil spray and so far it has been amazing, not a fly in sight. I use it as a fly repellent so not sure about how good it is for sweet itch. I can imagine it will be excellent.

I use mine neat, just spray it one. As it is oil based you will need to really shake the bottle if you are gonna dilute it.

good luck.

Benzyl Benzoate is better for sweetitch and is a licensed pharmacy product...It's better known as Derbac M the treatment for Scabies in humans.

Skin-so-soft may well work on the odd pony for SI, but it may also cause a worse reaction than that of the midge bite...

i dont think the idea is that sss treats the sweetitch, it acts as a fly repellent. I used to use citronella as a repellent and Benzyl Benzoate to treat it. I would try the sss as a repellent in conjunction with BB. (lol, i used to smell BB in my sleep!!!!)

Swiftly - I might be wrong, but it does look as though em23 is using sss as a treatment for SI....see below.

I have heard about SSS body lotion for preventing fly bites on humans but recently I have seen several references in magazines to its success with Sweet Itch. Apparently you dilute it and spray it on, rubbing into the mane and tail. Has anyone tried it?

hmm call me crazy
my my friend had a weird thing for sweetitch.

she gave her horse a marmite sandwich..lots of marmite. once a day.
and it worked :eek:

yes, possibly because it's strong stuff...but marmite is a beef product, and full of salt, so perhaps a little wouldnt be so bad (have heard of other people feeding marmite) but it shouldnt be given in great quantities..wonder if Vegemite the aussie equivalent (and vegetarian too) would have the same effect?

Hmm never heard of using SSS, we've just bought some benzyl benzoate for Jakes' sweet itch. Problem is they wouldn't let us have it over the counter if we said it was for horses, so you have to pretend you have scabies or lice yourself in order to buy it - which could be potentially embarassing! Our friend in the end said it was for the people at the care home she works at :D Fingers crossed the BB will work - he's already removed half of his mane from scratching :eek:

newrider.com