Average age of your horses..

Dark Storm

Well I'll be a Krampus's Auntie! :D!
Jan 4, 2009
Hadfield
Recently some one asked me how old Shadow is, I told them he's 9, they said "Oh he's getting on a bit then, maybe it's time to get a younger one!" WTF sprung to mind, :rollseyes: I always thought horses don't go into their prime until mid to late teens??
Then there's "He might be sound until 20" How can you tell without looking into a crystal ball? My lad has great legs and feet, and holds himself very well, I don't overdo the trotting on tarmac (only up hills, and when car is trying to get past) and do most of his work in the ménage..
Every horse is different, and you never know what's round the corner, I hate it when people try to predict what your horse will be doing health wise in 5 + years..

If yours is getting on at 9, then mine at 4 should be in his prime, but was only started this summer, therefore a horse of a few months old would be at the start of it's working life by this persons reasoning...!!!

My riding companion and xanders best friend is 21 yrs young (haffy) and does the most work of anyone on the yard. The other day they went out at 1.30 and didn't cone back till nearly 7pm!!! They don't just plod either. Yesterday on our hack he was cantering sideways & on the spot trying to go for a blast (they only didn't for my sake), and they won the horse agility we went too, AND he has mild arthritis and has bute regularly. But my is he a happy and fit little pony!

Just smirk to yourself how naive they are! :)

Last edited:
:giggle: I just can't get my head round how some people react when I tell them horses can live over 30 years:bounce: (I know a 40 year old 18hh Tb:showoff:)

Jack is 10, Arthur is 3 and Albi is just 2 so I THINK (and hope and pray) that we'll be OK for a few years yet.... :giggle:

Don't some people spout nonsense? One of my horses wasn't remotely physically mature until he was 9. So on that basis his life is heading over before he's even begun!

Shadow has only just started over the last 12 months behaving like a grown up when out hacking, he's always been a good boy, but did such stupid things, common to green horses lol!

I would have just treated the comment with the contempt it deserved !!

My old Arab is coming up to 24 and still does the occasional cross country ! still hacks out happily most days as well.

He is as fit as a fiddle !

Here's the best bit.. it was the YARD OWNER that said it!(doesn't it worry you when you realise how naive someone is when they've spent their life around horses!

I think some horses/ponies forget that they're going over the hill at 25.. My lad was pushed over by an elderly Arab when he was 2.. he ran at him, Shadow had no where to run so ended up on his back with his legs stuck in the air, next to a fence!

One of my horses wasn't remotely physically mature until he was 9. !

This spring, I was watching my young TB, and thought, " At long last you FINALLY are starting to look like a horse instead of a gangly baby" He had just turned 7! I had started backing him at 4, but he just wasn't ready, physically or mentally, so we carried on with long-reining until this year. I am hoping patience will have paid off and he will be strong and healthy until 30:)

My others are 15, 14, and 22.

My share is 16 and she always tells me when she wants a gallop, normally as the brakes dont work and she can charge off into a fast canter/ gallop rather then a steady one :)

Well by the sound of that YO I had better get Max broken now, ridden out, jumping etc. Otherwise i will not have long with him. lol.

He's 14mths old, but i think i will take the chance and wait to break him about 4. Hahahaha

Ed has just turned 15. I do sometimes worry that's he's soon to become an 'older' boy. But, on a positive note I have two friend with horses of 31 that bother hacked out comfortably until 29....

Harvey is 14 and Piccolo is nearly 4. Nope, not thinking of selling Harvey due to his age!! In actual fact i think i will like it when both ponies grow up a little bit more :smoke:

Mattie will be 12 next year - we know his birthday.

Ziggy's passport says he's 11, and his dentist rummaged around and said, "Aye, reckon that's a fairish guess."

So once he gets over his little blip, it's my betting that he'll be going strong for at least 10 and probably 15 years. My friend Catherine's first pony was a Connie and she was still bolting with her at 30!

newrider.com