Autumn - clipping

that will all depend on how think your horse's hair grows and how much work he is being asked to do. Some breeds such as thoroughbreds and arabs don't grow very thick winter coats and other people rug their horses early in the hopes of keeping them warm so that their body doesn't feel the need to grow a thick coat.
A horse will only need to be clipped if he is in hard enough work to make him sweat. A horse with a long coat which has sweated up when ridden will catch a chill easily so would be better off clipped.
Hope that helps a bit

The jury is out on clipping. There's a growing number of people who feel that you don't need to clip.

I'm still of the opinion that you should clip if the horse is *telling* you that they need to be clipped. Saff doesn't sweat up much and when she does it's through stressing rather than physical exertion so I haven't clipped her since I got her. I would, though, if she were getting very sweaty after work. The clip would depend on how sweaty she was getting and how I was keeping her. She lives out so the most that I would ideally want to do would be to do a trace clip.

I'm following the 'non-clipping' argument and am open minded about it but not quite convinced just yet :)

Yes I would like it if I do not have to clip.
I guess experiance will prevail, but if his coat is just hot to the touch but not sweaty (ie my hand isnt wet with his sweat after stroking his neck shoulders) am I right to think hes ok with his coat on.
Or maybe as has been suggested a trace clip might do.

newrider.com