Attention all strong cob owners!!

bicky

Aug 11, 2007
Cumbria
Hi everyone, just a quick question. What bit do you use for your cob? Is there a popular bit for cobs? Sorry, I know its a bit random!! [:D]

I have educated/schooled kinzzy for the past 3 years since she was 4 and most of the time she is fine, but she can be VERY strong and rather than pull on her mouth all the time, I would prefer to have her respect a stronger bit (possibly??).

I know I shouldn't pull on her mouth, but in the interest of safety and not getting hit by a car (again!!) sometimes its the only way to stop her.

Apart from that, she is wonderful of course!! [:D]
Cheers, any advice would be appreciated.

I used to ride my heavyweight cob in a french link, but she used to throw her head around and get irritated, and also very strong.

I have found that a Pelham works really well, as she prefers the straight mouth bit rather than a jointed, and doesn't fuss with her head so much.

I like to use two reins though, as then I need only use the curb rein if needed.

My cob is in a hanging cheek snaffle for most things. As his schooling has got more advanced i've scrapped his pelham as i have other means of stopping/distracting him from spooking and tanking off.

He is hacked in a kimblewick though, mainly for safety reasons as if he does decide to prat about, i cannot hold him in a snaffle. And i'd rather have something a bit stronger that i can use lightly than haul on his mouth constantly in a snaffle.

I hack out in a kimblewick with a slightly raised port without the chain.He has a pelham when shown.I drive in a straight bar liverpool bit.I have tried him in a dr bristol and a snaffle but he seems to hate anything jointed.My niece has a haflinger who is very strong so she uses a kimblewick with great results.I think anything with a long bar action gives the severity so maybe look for something with a straight bar and a d ring.It is worth a try.
I spoke to someone who works for myler bits who reckons that cobs have fat tongues so snaffles or anything that is jointed isn`t always ideal as the nut cracker action hits the roof of the mouth,which makes sense really.I have seen quite a lot of ponies throwing their heads up in the air when kids pull on their mouths.

Cheers for that everyone. I ride her in a Neue Schule french link loose ring at the moment and have rode her in a hanging cheek french link previous to that.

I always though that a straight bar would give her the opportunity to grab hold of it and become even stronger. I must be wrong!

Another kimblewick fan. Misty was a driving horse, and she is strong. This was the nearest I could find to a driving bit and she's very happy in it (according to RI!)

I've got an ID who is schooled in a snaffle but hacked in a pelham with two reins & a "proper" curb chain. The pelham is purely for emergency use though, the answer with him in most situations is position, leg & voice - if I needed to rely totally on a bit then I'd lose every time because it just allows him to set his strength against mine.

If I do need to use the curb rein then it's a very short, sharp aid & immediate release - think "OI, WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?!" - rather than trying to hold him on it. That's just him though, he reacts badly to feeling restricted but tends to respond well to a reality check & a positive mental attitude :p

I hack out in a ported kimblewick and school/long-line in a jointed eggbutt. :)

Last edited:
blue gets hacked in a pelham
tried several bits and he really seems to prefer this bit.
he gets schooled ( well the intention is always there ) in a french link eggbut,
but lacks brakes when out in this.
He always seems happier in the pelham though

I ride in a Full Cheek French link.. goodbrakes and steering !

I used to ride my heavyweight cob on a kimblewick. In a snaffle you had no brakes at all, but he did respect the kimblewick. Sennie I ride in a copper roller snaffle. His brakes are pretty good, unless he gets over excited.:rolleyes:

my cob is in a mullen mouth snaffle....no joints/links on the bit, much more comfortable for his fleshy mouth and tongue

mine is in a magenis snaffle... but i didnt find it all that much better until I added the flash noseband, and she can still be strong in it.

The cob in our yard came in a french link dutch gag, she now schools, hacks and jumps in a french link loose ring snaffle although hunts in her old bit (still has debatable brakes at that!!!!!)

Shes has taken some schooling to be able to ride her in the snaffle and still struggles in the canter with her schooling but I now can ride and lead from her in her snaffle which was a total no chance when she first came!!!!!

newrider.com