Attention all fjord lovers/owners!!

minkersmum

Aug 4, 2009
Scotland
Been riding a gorgeous 13.2hh fjord gelding at our RS. I love him. He is cheeky and adorable.

Today i thought i'd see what my RI thought about his weight carrying ability. Obviously he is a good weight carrier. He takes me no problem and i'm 5ft9 and 11st. But in the RS his limit is 11st i presume to allow for his workload and for unbalanced beginners. But in general terms i wondered just how much she thought he'd be comfortable with.

Her answer was 'well he is only 13.2hh, i'd say he was more of a childs pony. He is too small for an adult.' Was gobsmacked! I love him and feel Fjords are definitely on my list of ponies suitable for adults. I think she'd like to see me on a big 16hh+ but i just love the ponies. So much fun and easy to get on and off!! Gobsmacked! But it hasn't put me off, People can talk all they like... i love the ponies!!!:D:D

Hi sorry not be on the forum for awhile so just read your post.

We have 2 fjords. Fresca was bought as a youngester and grew to 13.3. She carries me no problem out hunting, pleasure rides and shepherding on a hill farm and I am 11stone 10lbs and 5ft 4 so don't worry about your weight. Your height maybe more of an issue in that if you have a long body you may feel slightly unbalanced - but I doubt this is the case seen as you love riding the fjord so much;).

Don't let anyone tell you what you should ride. As long as he can carry you without hurting himself and you feel ok on him, it does not matter if you are tall and he is short. I was told numerous times (mostly by instructors) to sale my 14.1 Welsh Cob for a bigger horse (I am 5'7 and weight 11 stones) but my pony can carry me and has for the last 16 yrs without any problem. enjoy your Fjord :)

Been riding a gorgeous 13.2hh fjord gelding at our RS. I love him. He is cheeky and adorable.

Today i thought i'd see what my RI thought about his weight carrying ability. Obviously he is a good weight carrier. He takes me no problem and i'm 5ft9 and 11st. But in the RS his limit is 11st i presume to allow for his workload and for unbalanced beginners. But in general terms i wondered just how much she thought he'd be comfortable with.

Her answer was 'well he is only 13.2hh, i'd say he was more of a childs pony. He is too small for an adult.' Was gobsmacked! I love him and feel Fjords are definitely on my list of ponies suitable for adults. I think she'd like to see me on a big 16hh+ but i just love the ponies. So much fun and easy to get on and off!! Gobsmacked! But it hasn't put me off, People can talk all they like... i love the ponies!!!:D:D

Last edited:
What a load of tosh!

Fjords are family horses, 15 stone plus men ride them in Norway and on the continent, They are not child's ponies, they are utility and the Norwegians would not like to hear their horse described as a kid's pony!

i certainly wouldt put a child on my fjord! i weigh 11 stone and he cant feel me on his back at all....he loves draggig me around and trying to tank off with me.....a child would have no chance lol

Our Fjords carried every one from RDA tots to 16 stone men. As you say, they laughed in the face of 16 stone, (more likely to tank with a big person than a tot)

Here is Fresca and I half way through a 15 mile PR. After this we had a long canter along the beach and then did quite a bit of canter work on the way back. She was still up for more, I was the one feeling tired :D.
DSC00652.jpg

love the pic fjordlady! My mare and I did over 100km on a horsey holiday last year she is 14.1 im 5ft7 and 11 and half stone, the first day or so I got poor pony comments hope she can keep up blah blah blah- we ended up leading the ride for most of it! By the last day she was tired- but hey we all were. If fjords are fit and the rider balanced there really is no limits to what they can do. I wouldnt swap mine for the world. ps the reason I got her was that she was dangerous!!!! She had been bought for an 11 year old child and did exactly as she pleased. Ended well though.

Last edited:
We had a 13.2hh Haflinger that beat the big 'osses on 100 mile (MILE not KM) endurance rides, the "poor Pony" comments are a sign of utter ignorance .

We had a 13.2hh Haflinger that beat the big 'osses on 100 mile (MILE not KM) endurance rides, the "poor Pony" comments are a sign of utter ignorance .

Here, Here totally agree:).

How about a pic fjord fan:p. Fresca is an angel but would not be slow to take advantage ;) - it's all about matching the horse and rider :D

Kina used to break her headcollar or rope once a year, , she'd forget her manners and barge once a year. She had to be put back in her place firmly once a year. Then once back at factory settings she'd trundle on sweetly...until the next time.

If she found a chink in your armour she'd be in there with a crow bar

Mine have never tanked off. Bless em. Lena is the kindest mare you could find, Asu will be an absolute popet and her son- well hes just perfect.

loving all the replies! I am still riding and loving the little fjord. He is managing just fine with my 11 stone carcass.

I know its wrong to look for a breed rather than a suitable horse but i am smitten by this breed. So beautiful.

Im very envious of all you fjord owners and wish one of you lived round the corner so i could come for fjord cuddles:D

Fjords are charming, they are funny too.

Kina was the over enthusiastic vicar's wife at the summer fete, holding her hat on with one hand, handbag swinging, joining in the sack race. She'd have a floral dress and a big hat. Bit like Hyacinth Bucket!

My Lenas no Hyacinth? 1. shes a real ladieee that lunches, 2. she ate all the other ladies hats! Perhase the sack race is why shes unsound!

Fjords are charming, they are funny too.

Kina was the over enthusiastic vicar's wife at the summer fete, holding her hat on with one hand, handbag swinging, joining in the sack race. She'd have a floral dress and a big hat. Bit like Hyacinth Bucket!

Hilarious!! I love it!

fjords have a woderful nature but mine is a big wimp.....he is allowing my 13.3 new forest mare to boot him in the chest and just stading there taking it before running over to me as if to say "mummmmmmy make her go away now!", the size differece is hilarious. sadly he has low ringbone affecting the coffin joint so is costantly lame and cant do much workwise now :(

DSCF0036-1.jpg

DSCF0046-1.jpg

newrider.com