At the Request of Juliecwuk, Jane & Ziggy et al.....

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
I'm way ahead of myself here as I have not even decided for sure what to do and when. BUT I'm ill and off work, so to cheer myself up...... Lets do some pony window shopping!

Here are my pony requirements :p:

ESSENTIAL
1) Friendly, likes people
2) Will enjoy (or at least good naturedly tolerate) lots of small girls plaiting and fussing
3) Does not bite, kick etc (manners I can teach but I want a basically soft, kind pony).
4) 13'3-14'3 hh (I know smaller could carry me but but I don't like kicking elbows!)
5) Chunky if less than 14'2 (see above - takes the leg up)
6) Hardy enough to live out in a herd most of the time.
7) No hx of lami (may of course develop it but I don't want to start off with lami issues as the yard is not well set up for restricted grazing. Lami ponies end up alone in a bare paddock)
8) No sweetitch. Charlie had it and it was so sad to see him suffer. We managed it ok but even just tiny mistakes in the management resulted in a very sore pony that took weeks to recover from again
9) Sane and sensible (a mini Thyme)
10) Responsive (not a kickalong)
11) Can jump.

DESIRABLE
1) Young if right temperament. I like them 'unspoilt blank canvasses'. But would consider older pony with right kind of history - eg loving private home, kept like a horse, not 'bossed' unnecessarily all the time.
2) Already schooled on the basics so girls can ride straight away. But would consider recently backed if everything else was ok as would not take long to get those basics established
3) Not grey (beautiful but soooooooo hard to keep clean!!!)
4) Not been ridden with head reined in. Charlie had been and it was a pain to sort out. I think you can tell from the photos of a pony in halt with a rider forcing him to be behind the vertical.
6) Native breed as I just love the look of them: Irish cob, Highland, Fell, Connemara...... (Less keen on Welsh but willing to be persuaded otherwise)

Happy hunting;) :D

That fell mare is lovely! But isn't that jump a bit high for a 4 year old? I know it's free jumping but still...

Love the Horsequest gelding! Stunning. Wasted on us, though - he'd never see a show ring again!

They are all so lovely. *Sigh*

I do think Spring is a better time to buy than just going into winter though!! I wonder how many of these will still be available in Spring.

Fair enough, but then again I always think that this time of year is good as people just want rid before the winter. Just seen this pretty pony pop up on Facebook and thought of u (ok 10yrs old but so pretty!)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 6
apart from the photo being what you said you didnt want - he sounds sweet http://www.horsemart.co.uk/genuine-gelding-sad-sale/Horses/386462#fGOo9Gv7WhGhDLuM.97

Yes he looks absolutely gorgeous...... Do love a coloured! Why do people pull their ponies heads in like that though! I think it looks awful. But he's only 4 so it probably doesn't matter. Charlie had been ridden btv for years. He is not far from you is he?? If I go and see maybe I could pop in and say hi?

I have printed off a 'short-list' now and have 4 I am considering..... Thanks for all the help. Keep the suggestions coming!!

It's weird but sometimes I look at a pic and think YES!! And sometimes I just don't warm to the pony. Is that kind of gut reaction reliable? So much must do with the quality of the pic and the accuracy of the description. When I was buying Charlie I viewed SO many duff ponies that sounded amazing on paper.

Oooo exciting stuff! Yes if you are this way of course your more than welcome to pop by for a visit! I did see some adverts for horses in wolverhampton but thought it may be a tad far!

Would have been nice for you to say hi to Tara if you did pop by, but she has been out on permanent loan now for a few years, actually I barely see her owner anymore as she is in Uni and has found boys and a party lifestyle!

(Ooo that fell pony is gorgeous, but yes perhaps not ideal for the girls!)

Reactions: KP nut
newrider.com