Arthur... one week (ok, nearly!)

domane

Retired cob mum
Jul 31, 2005
Just thought I'd update you. Arthur seems to have settled incredibly well, considering he has had a very settled life with little change previously. As I expected, Albi is his best buddy (Albs is so placid and friendly, plus he's only 10 months younger than Arthur). Jack is a little more reserved and can be dominant but is also highly intelligent and seemed to suss within 24 hours that Arthur is part of our gang and will intervene if the two others in the field try to lunge at Arthur, which is really sweet of Jack.

It's a good half-mile (10 min) walk from the field to the yard and I didn't dare attempt this on my own in case Arthur panicked so tonight Dom is coming to the yard with me and we will bring Arthur and Albi in together so that Arthur has a lead and can also see how relaxed Albi is in the barn around the stables.... it's been such a busy week, this is the first evening I've been able to coordinate this!! But it's given Arthur six days to settle in the field. I did remove him from the field on Monday evening and we just walked a short way up the track and he was fine. He was a little reserved for all of the first two days I showed up but I guess he's watched me cuddling the other two and realised that I am friend, not foe and now he will TROT over to be the first one to me, which is just lovely. He's so laid back and placid like Albi... I guess that's the Comtois in him and I really hope that that follows through when we start work in the next few months. I've given him a bit of a brush and picked up his front feet with him loose and he just seems to want to follow me around the field and be with me which is a really, really good start :)

Few pics...

DSC04569.jpg

DSC04574.jpg

I was particularly impressed with them grazing so closely together a mere 24 hours after Arthur's arrival.... my own mini herd!!! :dance:

DSC04553.jpg

And this vid demonstrates the keen-ness to greet me. Shocking quality taking on my ancient phone, but Arthur is the one on the right, initially....

Oh gorgeous boy! I love his lovely wide blaze. And the way he shuffles into trot: no no, I want to get there first!

Good luck with your walkabout, I am sure he will be good.

I thought he was lame but I think he was rushing so much that he nearly cantered coz the "limp" disappeared as he slowed his trot!!!

I`ve had a soft spot for this lad for a logn while, he`s just gorgeous ... you lucky thing :)

I love the old pic of him that i saw on the EE thread, laid flat out asleep .... it`s just a close up of his nose, and it`s sooooooo snogable :) lol

newrider.com