Arthritis and light hacking.

learningcurve

May 25, 2008
How would you define light hacking for 20 year old pony with arthritis in back legs.

Not my pony, but is on the same farm as mine.

Hacking mostly in walk, maybe short sessions of trot IF (and only if) the round is soft enough. No canter. No longer than an hour.

My mare is fairly old, although I don't know exactly how old, and she has bad arthritis in her knees. I took her out for a 30 minute walk this morning and she seemed fine and was raring to go.

I've got a 22 yr old tb with arthritis and a heart murmur, and i'd agree with the others. Keep to mostly walk, long enough to warm up but not too long to strain the arthritic joints (45 mins-ish). They generally know what they are capable of (although sometimes their brains think their bodies are stronger than they actually are!). Road work is alot more wearing on sore joints, and they often don't feel/show the effects until they come back or the next day. I try to keep off road as much as poss.
also beware of weather conditions - generally cold and damp aggravates arthritis so be more understanding on those days - use exercise rug if needed. Maybe some walking in hand to loosen up before starting to ride.
hope this helps

Depends on the horse - Rosie has arthritis in her fetlock and she is out for an hour a day walking, trotting and cantering. That said it has taken us about 4 months to get to this point but we don't have any roadwork to do so no jarring issues, and we do have days where she does struggle so we just pootle about in walk. She does get stiff when the weather changes and actually has more problems with the high heat and you can see the fetlock is swollen, so she'll get some danilon and walked out in hand.

Some horses show symptoms more than others, there are a couple on our yard that seem to be crippled with it :eek:

newrider.com