Arrgghh feathers, chalk, show HELP!

scarymary

Ok so now im startin to get a little nervous *feeling like a mum with child going in school play*:eek: Mary is going into an in hand show for the very 1st time on sunday. Tomorrow is the ' make Mary beautiful day'. Ive bought the shampoo etc etc etc and chalk for her feathers. How and when do i put the chalk on? :confused::eek: She is being stabled overnight with leg bandages on and a rug to 'try' and keep her clean:rolleyes:..... please help this numpty nervous wreck with clear instructions :eek: I think she may be a complete hag, but i would like her to be a beautiful hag:p:D

I know nothing about how to chalk horses but chalking a dogs legs means if the chalk is in a block form, to simply rub it all over the area.
If in powder form, rubbing or squirting it all over the area needed, then brush out.
hth

I know nothing about how to chalk horses but chalking a dogs legs means if the chalk is in a block form, to simply rub it all over the area.
If in powder form, rubbing or squirting it all over the area needed, then brush out.
hth

yep rub it into dry legs, leave for five minutes then brush out. make sure you brush ALL of it out though:)

good luck on sunday:)

I wouldn't bother with chalk.
Wash them once, twice, thrice with conditioner. Empty a bottle of talcum powder over them and stable over night.
T'is enough for my feathery friends!

we bath them (until they are white)
then rub a chalk block over them.
brush it out in the morning/at the show.

never put it on dry legs so cant comment on that.

we bath them (until they are white)
then rub a chalk block over them.
brush it out in the morning/at the show.

never put it on dry legs so cant comment on that.

yes you can put it on wet legs but just not brush it out until legs are dry, thats what i always got told anyway, i've only ever put it on dry legs though.:)

you can wipe a bit on before you go in the ring (muzzle, round eyes) but make sure you wash it off again, if turned out in the sun with it on he will burn.

some people put it in tails but i wouldnt personally, its too greasy- just use mane and tail conditioner or show sheen.

Doesn't talc work? i swear on a programme i watched about draft horses.. the guy was putting talc on the shires feathers :confused:

hi ive just bathed my colt for a show tomorrow he has 4 white socks and some feather, i shampoo his socks then put chalk powder on then bandage over nitewhen u take bandages of in the mornin, just brush off,then come out lovely and white. gd luck at show.

hi ive just bathed my colt for a show tomorrow he has 4 white socks and some feather, i shampoo his socks then put chalk powder on then bandage over nitewhen u take bandages of in the mornin, just brush off,then come out lovely and white. gd luck at show.

aww thank you. thats just what ive done. she's none too impressed though..lol....good luck to you too. x

I realise that the show is like today so it'll be of no help, but, Soot, how does the talcum powder process work? Do you brush it off in the morning, or just leave on or whatever?

Just getting some tips in my head for my show in a few weeks.

you brush it off when its dry (either talc or chalk).

we put it on wet legs so that they dont stain (or dont seem to) because it just brushes out with the powder.

Yup, it speeds up the drying so I just brush it out when uit's dry ... and add some more on the day of the show if I feel like it. It works as well on white as on other colours as makes the hair so silky soft! Weird ...

newrider.com