Argghh. Aggressive, bullying gardener

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
Right I am feeling very shaken and I don;y know who else to ask, so I am asking you.

We agreed a price of £550 for a garden clearing job. It was a leaflet through a door we responded to: Free all inclusive quote, no hidden extras.

They came and did an hours work then said they had to go and would finsih off another day and asked for £350 for what they had done so far. I said that was far too much as they had barely started on the work. We agreed £160 in the end after an awful lot of haggling with a balance to pay of £390 on completion.

They finished off today and came to get the money and said it was £560. I said it was £390. They started shouting at me and told me they wanted their money and were not going to be messed about. I said we agreed a price and I was not prepared to pay more. He carried on shouting so I pulled the pathetic wife card and told them to come back when my husband was at home at 6:30

So now we are going to have 2 horrid, aggressive wide-boy gardeners showing up tonight and I am petrified! (My husband is very mild mannered and non-confrontational. A wonderful man but not good at this sort of thing. I tend to be the person who deals with anything like this). What are my options if they become really nasty/threatening?? Do I just stand my ground and repeat myself. Do I open the door hand them an envelope with £390 cash in it and shut the door on them? Do I hire a tough friend for the evening. IU hav e an ex SAS builder friend who I could invite round for coffee!!

sounds obvious but i take it none of this was agreed in writing? just stick to your guns. Ive been in a similar position and now make sure eveyrthing is either agreed by text or email or on paper. Come on KP, grow some balls hehe, dont let them intimidate you xx

Pop the amount in an envelope, hand it over and tell them if they don't get off your property that you will call the police.

Have 101 or whatever you dial down south alread programmed and as soon as they start shouting hit dial, the moment it is picked up it is recorded. Have hubby standing behind you with his arms folded.

they sound real cowboys. Is their company etc registered? I would actually report them to the police anyway and possibly trading standards. Imagine if you were alittle old lady alone and vunerable they are like something of rogue traders. I would google their names etc.

Agree with MrC and Gimp etc but KP dont employ people (anyone) who comes to the door. There are gardeners you can find via neighbours or even via internet sites who have proper references. Same goesd for selling and buying stuff. Dont let someone who comes to the door take away any furniture for repair etc. You wont ever see it again.

I too would call the local police for advice, if this is how these guys roll they may already have had other calls about them and be keen to know in advance where they will be :)

I'd call the police for advice too. It sounds like a good idea to me to have the ex-SAS builder friend round. They are just bullies trying to intimidate you into giving more than they've earned or agreed. I think MrC's advice is good - put the agreed amount into an envelope, hand it to them then tell them to get off your property or you'll ring the police.

Reactions: Trewsers
Phone the police and tell them what's gone on and they might have someone in the area, It's a civil matter but if it turns into assault or breech of the peace then it's their problem.

Thanks for all the replies. I did invite my ex SAS pal round and I'm jolly glad I did as they became very aggressive when OH refused to pay more. He stepped in and was so reasonable and calm (all that special forces training!) but they were having none of it. Eventually they drove off saying they would dump all the rubbish they had cleared back on our drive. So we will see if they follow through on that. I took a photo of them and of their truck. I phoned 101 and they have logged it. They said if they come back dial 999 immediately. But at the moment they can't do anything. Hopefully this is the last we will hear of it.

@Skib I do feel stupid now having responded to a leaflet drop but in the past I have often had jobs done this way. It is a way of enterprising, hard working people to make a living. We found our wonderful dog walker 4 years ago through a leaflet drop. But I won't trust anyone again which is a shame.

Reactions: CharliesAngel
How horrid and stressful for you. I am glad you reported it - sad that you had to, but as already said, imagine someone living alone who is vulnerable or elderly. There are some dreadful folk out there - and it's always worth a try in their mind, either to try for more money or be nasty.

newrider.com