Are you too heavy for your horse?

There is NO RULE, 10% is far too nebulous a calculation as when you get to Shire horses you are on a scale of diminishing returns and they cannot carry as much as a Shetland can in proportion to their body size.

i think you have to look at the horse/pony and then decide. leo is only 13hh but built like a tank and i reckon he could carry me if required as he is very sturdy.

a 16hh fine tb might struggle though.

Well I do come within the limit on Dolly, but Jaysus that is some tight scale surely? I know damn well she could comfortably carry someone quite a bit heftier than I am.:frown:

I'm not eating now - until next week. Bit of luck once the snow has melted I will be slim enough to ride her. Think I'm going to look into a lentil only diet...........hahahahahahaaa.

I'm not eating now - until next week. Bit of luck once the snow has melted I will be slim enough to ride her. Think I'm going to look into a lentil only diet...........hahahahahahaaa.

I hope she's bomb proof then otherwise your farts from your lentil only diet could put you in danger!

10% is madness.. that would mean I am two stone too heavy for Victory and I'm an average weight 5'3"!.

That would also mean that Victory being 16hh sports horse could not carry a average weight man?!

That would also mean riders like Carl Hester/William Fox Pit/Clayton Fredericks etc ride horses of Victory's type and would be too heavy. They must weigh two stone more than me at least???

I'm sure their sports horses would be struggling then.... not??!!

i imagine a racehorse carrying top weight at 12st 7lb would be equally inconvenienced.

i am 90kg so technically suze, a french draft, would not carry me.....as for Flipo, well i guess he should only carry a child.

Last edited:
now if you want a really heavy horse, someone buy Toto

Breed: Trait OC - Father: Cob Normand: Mother: Cheval de Trait

Paper: Yes

Chip: Yes

Dress: Bay

Sex: gelding

Size: Approximately 1.55 to 1.65 from the photos

Description: Toto is a splendid horse, gelding, OC, father Cob Normand, mother cheval de trait, born in May 2004, an extremely kind horse. He began to be broken to ride at 2 1/2 years but its owner at the time became very ill. He is a horse of big hugs, about 1 m 65, 1,021 euros, very urgent given he is overweight, he can go from one moment to the other

Place: 14 Calavados

Price: €1021

He is on his last week on earth

Attachments

• toto2.jpg
    toto2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 30
now if you want a really heavy horse, someone buy Toto

Breed: Trait OC - Father: Cob Normand: Mother: Cheval de Trait

Paper: Yes

Chip: Yes

Dress: Bay

Sex: gelding

Size: Approximately 1.55 to 1.65 from the photos

Description: Toto is a splendid horse, gelding, OC, father Cob Normand, mother cheval de trait, born in May 2004, an extremely kind horse. He began to be broken to ride at 2 1/2 years but its owner at the time became very ill. He is a horse of big hugs, about 1 m 65, 1,021 euros, very urgent given he is overweight, he can go from one moment to the other

Place: 14 Calavados

Price: €1021

He is on his last week on earth

I wish................I just can't afford another atm. So sad, hope he finds a home, he would be a cracker for OH to plod about on,.

newrider.com