Are they just playing or spooking themselves?

Trewsers

Oct 13, 2004
On an island
I do wish they wouldn't do it at the moment as Joe's leg is slowly mending - but thats another story......:eek: Anyway, sometimes lately when I turn our pair out, they roll about three times, get up, shake down and peg around as fast as they can, Storm puts her tail up like a brush and snorts and flares her nostrils (its funny but a bit disconcerting to watch the first time) and she snorts and growls like a lion:eek: Are they playing or has something spooked them? This goes on for about 10 mins till they decide to get their heads down and eat - its a new thing for the winter, as during the summer they didn't seem to do it. Do you think its cos their turnout is more limited this year? They both were bouncing around doing it over the weekend - and I couldn't decide if it was the sheep bothering them?:confused: Any thoughts? sorry for long post:eek:

id say they were just playing as quite a few horse near me are doing it at the mo with limited turn out :D

ahem think we may be missing something from this post !!!!! PICS:p:D:p

Playing, excitement, happiness, a horse that feels relaxed to have a good play. I love seeing them like that - makes me feel content :)

Turnout can effect them, but also thing the cold air adds a spark of flare too :D

OOh, I wish I could post pics - I tried a bit back (my compter literacy and technology is limited!!!!) I must try again......lol.......I think its the winter too - I'm sadly having to limit their turnout for various reasons this year - but I'm not sure its the right thing to do, as Joe is getting sharper than ever which in turn isn't going to do his leg any favours! Tho I know the vet would probably tell me to keep him in indefinitely until completely healed, I am in a quandry as madam cannot and will not go out alone........

Nookster, yes, I know what you mean about seeing them play, BUT, I was so worried Joe would re-injure, I was rather hoping they'd stop it!!!! oh dear, I know rolling won't hurt him, its the hoolying around afterwards. Still, least the field is soft at the moment........

Nookster, yes, I know what you mean about seeing them play, BUT, I was so worried Joe would re-injure, I was rather hoping they'd stop it!!!! oh dear, I know rolling won't hurt him, its the hoolying around afterwards. Still, least the field is soft at the moment........

Do know how you feel as with Odin we were worried if he would re damage when he had a mad time with himself in the field. Only advice would be longer turnout so its not as exciting? :)

Yeah, good point Nookster, I've been wondering if its not so thrilling for them they might settle quicker - four times a week I try and give them all day - but on the other days they're just getting a mix of sandschool turnout (really just a roll and a leg stretch) and 2 hours in the morning in their field - its very restrictive at the moment, even tho I keep them at home (OH hasn't been well enough to help and we've been having quite a lot of fencing / work done). Roll on spring please............

A horse won't roll or lie down if they're scared of something :D

Sounds like they're storing up a lot of energy overnight, and just need to bounce a bit when they get out. Don't worry too much about the leg - my fella's playmate was on nearly 6 months of box rest during the summer for a suspensory ligament injury. He's been back out for a while, and you can see he stored up all his playfulness for the 6 months because even though he's back out 24/7, the galloping and leaping around are amazing to watch. And the leg is holding up just fine :D

They're definitely just letting loose! My horses do that all the time when they're turned out now. It's so funny because they will walk into the pasture like perfect gentleman and let me take their lead off....and then they look at me and head out!! I think it's the temperature, and the fact that they are sooo happy to be outside. Then they go and stuff their faces! :)

Thanks for the replies! Good point about them rolling btw - I never thought of that - if they were being spooky then they wouldn't do it! I guess it must just be pent up energy - I am trying my best to give them as much turnout as I can - just not that easy at the mo. I am also being careful about feed - they are getting only a tiny amount of hard feed - don't want them overdosing........!!!!
I put them into the mini school this morning, that was funny as they're not used to it (only just got it finished) Storm didn't know whether to try and eat the sand or roll in it (bloomin hope she doesn't eat it - it will make her colic!!!)

newrider.com