Are dapples really a sign of good health?

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
My horse is in the best condition he has ever been. His weight is good and his fitness is much improved on previous years. He is fully clipped and this year for the first time ever in winter, he has come out covered in dapples. He sometimes gets them in his summer coat, but he has never looked like this in winter before. I have googled it and there is some suggestion that this is a sign of good health. Does anyone know for sure? @chev - can you help?

The old saying is they are a sign on health but I have never seen any scientific back up to this, glad hes looking so well though :D

The old saying is they are a sign on health but I have never seen any scientific back up to this, glad hes looking so well though :D

Thank you. I can't find any evidence for it either, but I am wondering why he looks so different this year. If I can get a photo to upload from my phone I will post it, although I have never been sucessful in doing that before!

Reactions: Jessey
Oo he is super dapply isnt he, and looking very streamlined, well done MP :D

Thank you. His weight has never been so good and I am really very proud of how he looks. I am currently really trying to get more muscle on his back end, but it's a work in progress.

My vet still tells me that he is too fat though and still wants another 50kg off him before the spring. He thinks that he would test postive for EMS but doesn't want to test him because he wouldn't medicate at this stage. He says this because I work him for a good hour every day and the only food he gets is one small soaked haynet in addition to the grass - he is the ultimate good doer. He wants Ben to be even slimer to minimise the risk of laminitis in the spring.

Reactions: Jessey
Corrrr eye candy MP! He looks amazing and is just gorgeous! Thanks for sharing a photo of him. Well done he does look fit and extremely healthy. Loving his dapples :D:D

Thank you. When he is properly groomed, plaited up and with his feathers washed he looks amazing and does really well in the show ring.

I think it's genetic?
My lass gets dapples in the summer but so does her dam. She isn't clipped out so I wouldn't see under the fluff.
Her usual thing to do is have a glossy, soft coat, especially at this time of year. A bit like it's just been done with shampoo.

In regards to weight I saw a different vet at the same practice who said mine was a condition score three going into winter and is fine. So 50/70kg could drop off.
She isn't going to look like a show pony her dad is a Shire! She is a cob with the bone structure to match it.

But if it was genetic why is this the first year he has had them? He has been fully clipped for the last 3 years during winter so his coat wouldn't have hidden them. Or do they develop as a horse gets older?

No idea but I will enjoy googling to research the subject. I have posted a question on the other forum as it's an interesting topic.

In my case she is only seven but I have photos of her at three with dapples.
Perhaps it's some relation to the sun.

Nice looking horse you have there. :) Thanks for sharing.

Found this that suggests genetic
http://www.whitehorseproductions.com/ecg_basics2.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Mary Poppins
He looks gorgeous. I don't know about dapples - don't think chesnuts get them! But Roxy's coat is a bit different every winter, this year her mane has lots of different colours in it, like a swirly cappucino. Pretty.

Reactions: Mary Poppins
Thank you for all your kind words everyone. He means the world to me and I worry so much about his well being and health. I just want him to be happy and healthy and be with me for as long as he possibly can.

He looks gorgeous. I don't know about dapples - don't think chesnuts get them! But Roxy's coat is a bit different every winter, this year her mane has lots of different colours in it, like a swirly cappucino. Pretty.

Chestnuts do get dapples, we have 2 who get them. One has them all year round and the other just in summer.
There's another chestnut mare on the yard whose mane does the same as Roxy's. At the moment it's ginger on one side and almost white on the other, but it changes!

PS what lovely even white socks he has. He would be a stunner for maxi cob classes.

I have been put off my maxi cob classes because many of the schedules say that they want the horses to be shown hogged. You can't see just how long his mane is in the picture I posted as it's hanging the other side of his neck but it is lovely, long and thick and there is no way I am chopping it off. We have won every single 'judges choice' class we have entered though and always get placed highly in the 'most handsome gelding' classes!

newrider.com