Arab people would you mind casting your eye ...

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
I'd be grateful for any comments on conformation - not bothered if you're highly critical, I bought the horse for pleasure not showing! Also, can anyone suggest what type of Arab he is most like, ie Egyptian, Russian etc?

Rafi is only just 4 and was only cut 2 weeks ago. He is 15.2, head not very dished but he does have beautiful wide apart eyes and surprisingly wide cheeks because he doesn't give that impression.

(Please ignore the strange little half-man sitting on his back)

Rafiwithlittlemanonback.jpg

Is this a trick question, or will you tell us his breeding? :D

At a glance, I'd say there was a good deal of English Crabbet in there. They're not all chestnuts with the white socks and the white faces!

No idea on breeding,although he does look fairly well built which would suggest something sturdy like crabbet lines.

Is it me or is he very short coupled?? Maybe the pic,but he looks like there isn't a lot between his wither and butt!! Probably not a problem and maybe arabs have this build,but could be a pain for saddle fitting!!

He's very pretty,and looks like he knows it as well,what a poser lol

Look forward to seeing more of him:)

Is this a trick question, or will you tell us his breeding? :D

LOL! I could tell you his breeding but it means nothing to me - there don't seem to be many prefixes - his sire was Silver Valentino (Esdasha/Tishan) and his dam was Najeeba (Najeeb/Sabaya). Going back there are a quite a few Silvers a couple of Bints and a couple of 'The Lady's' - I can't see anything else that has any kind of pattern.

Devonlass - yes he is a real poser - keeps flicking his mane back too! At the stud where he came from though he must have been a bit of an outcast - they breed palominos, so they never showed him because he didn't fit in with their image, and eventually sold him. Poor thing!

Is it me or is he very short coupled?? Maybe the pic,but he looks like there isn't a lot between his wither and butt!! Probably not a problem and maybe arabs have this build,but could be a pain for saddle fitting!!

He looks just like my youngster in that respect! She is also four this year, will be broken in later, and a 17" saddle just will not do.

Bodsha, what is the breeding of Tishan?

Hi Bodshi, first to his pedigree, his sire has some good lines with the Estopa line being in there, if you email me I will scan an article all about his great X4 Grandam and sire, Estopa blood is always good and that corss is called a golden cross and is Spanish and Egyptian breeding. http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/silver+valentino

His Dam has a fair amount of Crabbet breeding and a splatter of Russian through Priboj in there hence his sturdier frame, some well known names in it. It looks like his tail female is Dajania and his strain is Kehailan, these are usually handsome and stronger looking, quite masculine again I have an interesting article I can scan in for you. These links show his pedigrees, and you can get pics of his ancestors as well http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/najeeba2

In this pic he does seem quite short in the body and a little in the neck (my lad is but I show him so it makes more difference for that), my crabbet mare was as well, and she was a pest to fit a saddle to! He seems to have solid legs, his tail is a bit low set, typical confirmation is tail straight off the back. He seems to have good depth for taking a girth so should be a nice ride. It is hard to see his head well, he does have a large jowel as he should be I can't tell about the rest from this, you could look at this link http://www.arabianhorses.org/home/faq/AskExpert4.asp

My email is sapphirearabians@hotmail.co.uk if you want more info

Enjoy him

Thanks folks. First Luna Corona - YO tried some of her saddles on just to see what sort of things suited. We tried a cheap synthetic 16.5" on medium fitting (he looks quite narrow to me at the moment) but it just stood up on his back - in YO words you could have driven a bus through it - probably would have added another hand to his height! She then tried a leather GP saddle, again 16.5" which fitted him much better and finally a Wintec Pro on medium which I'm sure was 17" and this looked perfect - surprisingly it didn't seem too long. Anyway, it just went to show me that getting a saddle isn't going to be a straightforward affair!

As to Tishan's breeding (noticed it wasn't on All Breeds) - he is by Tinian out of Lurgemet. Tinian by Admiral out of Silver Dawn and Lurgemet by Ludomino out of Dargemet. I can go another generation back if you need! I'm just looking at Rafi's papers - no idea what it all means.

Highbrow - thanks for that info, I have sent you an email. I think Rafi is handsome and strong looking, although his legs are still so long he has to spread them to graze. I did notice that his neck isn't as long as the pictures of the show Arabs I've studied (maybe why he can't reach the grass!), neither is his head as fine. Interesting what you mention about his tail too - he doesn't seem to carry it really high when he's moving, as I've seen other Arabs do - it's up but not right over his back and I'm wondering now whether this is because its low-set. Doesn't matter to me, I just want him to have loads of stamina and be a fun (but safe) ride!

Thanks again everyone, your comments are much appreciated! :)

As usual I arrive after the party has finished :p

I think Rafi is very handsome :D My guess would have been Egyptian and Crabbet lines as these are the 2 main lines in my boys! Rafi and Indie do look rather alike - short backed, nice not too dished face, small ears and very handsome :D They are slightly more substancial looking but still having the 'delicate' arab look!

In looking at Rafi's parentage him and Indie share a few ;) My boy is Khazaman http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/khazaman if you wanted a peak.

Saddle wise, all my arabs have been wide fittings - they are deceptively wide, as arabs look narrow! Saddle fitting is a nightmare, just make sure the saddle is back far enough - most people have them too far forward!!

Have loads of fun with him :D and keep us updated please!!

Thanks ladies. Luna Corona, that's amazing, I didn't know you could edit all breeds yourself! I'll have to get Rafi on there now.

KC I'm glad Indie and Rafi share some lines as I think Indie is gorgeous. I can see I could get addicted to all breeds - have already spent some time studying and trying to match names - trouble is some of them are very similar and my memory is appalling so I keep having to go back and check - it's a bit like trying to read one of those fantasy novels that my OH is so fond of.

You're right about the saddle fitting, I would have sworn Rafi was narrow.

II just nearly spat my wine out laughing at the 'half man' comment. Sorry have nothing new or important to add but I want him and think I will probably add that to ever thread you add about him:D

When you get bored I am in Lincoln

newrider.com