Appley is still on paddock rest - pelvis/hip ...

notpoodle

Jul 16, 2003
Brighton!
Visit site
Appley's still on paddockrest and now allowed up the big hill as yet.

VEt was out 3 weeks ago as she looked like a lami case eg. really stiff and pottery. diagnosed hip/pelvis issues as lameness was coming from behind and ordered 10 days strict box rest with 6 days on danilon, then get the chiro.

got chiro ... confirmed problem came from the hip/pelvis area but was now showing in one of the hinds ... advised to keep off the hill for a month and only turn out on hill if she's sound ridden. have not ridden as yet.

vet coming back on friday for a checkup ...

she appears perfectly sound.

still in the dark as to what exactly is wrong ... likely to be a fall or mounting injury. possibly stretched a ligament (highly unlikely torn or broken anything).

hate not knowing exactly what's happening but no point doing x rays or scans and waste an insurance claim so early on, is there? (currently vet report does not mention pelvis or hip or any legs in particular so should not get excluded!).

what to do ....

Julia
x

WE rarely have a lame horse, but when we do we don't get too worried in the short term.

We bought back a pony from someone who could not longer keep him and when he got back to us he was very lame. No idea why. All we did was give him bute, and turn him out into a park that was hilly, but not horrendously so. He came and had his bute every day and 6 weeks later he was sound and has been since.

I'd listen to the horse and let the horse tell you what they are ready to do. Sometimes these weird lamnesses can look horrible, but 6 weeks in a park with some pain killers and they come right and are fine.

Very sorry to hear Apply is under the weather.

TBH I would go with what vet is advising,rest and hang on and see if she comes sound.I can tell you from personal experince what a nightmare it is to get an exclusion removed (even one based on a minor injury) not to mention expensive,so best avoided if you can.

Keeping everything crossed that she makes a full and swift recovery:smile:

thanks guys :)

she is sound (eg looks sound to me and various people on the yard), i'm worried about a relapse on the hill though (rather steep and appley is NOT the careful sort, unfortunately) ... hmm ... let's see what the vet lady says on friday. really hope she'll be fit to go back out - she's BORED with a capital B in the paddock - that's the trouble when you keep horses on 40 acres with lots of chums - they get used to it and consider even a quarter of an acre pen RIDICULOUS and a waste of their time :redface:

@devonlass - with you on the insurance thing! if i can avoid a claim and 'filenote' I will! she's only 5 after all, let's save the horrible claims for later in life (or better still, NEVER!)

so the vet came on Friday ... said she was sound and to turn her out again. She's out now, but the back end still looks a bit stiff (and a very slight spot of dishing with the right hind). it's difficult with her because her back end is always looking a tad 'stiff' (an exmoor thing ... they're not renowned for their sweeping hind action!!) in the first place.

I'll start longreining in the school when it'd dry, book the chiro again and take it from there. No riding as I do not think her back end is fit for any kind of hillwork with a rider at the moment (and we can't hack without hills around here!). glad she is back out again though!

ponies, eh?

Julia

x

newrider.com