Appley has a lesson

notpoodle

Jul 16, 2003
Brighton!
Visit site
Sorry, probly boring you all to tears by now with Appley's adventures :)

We had one of our weekly lessons yesterday and borrowed friend's cob's (!) Micklem bridle. What an interesting concept! Def felt very different to her usual drop snaffle!

The reins were a 'tad' long though!! at one point I got the loop round my foot which wasn't so good!

We're not perfect (that's what we have lessons!!!), but I was very pleased with my little poneh :) she really tried very hard, blesh her :)

BIG shadow!

Julia
xx

ps: pony riders, where have you gone?? I seem to be the only one posting here!!

What lovely pictures.

I'm very interested in the Micklem. Did Appley like it? What differences did you notice?

Ponies - well, Ziggy and I generally post in the whatever section, like Hacking, or Vet & Injuries or whatever. I had a bit forgotten about the Bigs who ride Littles section!

Great pics - lol to the shadow too, I remember when OH and I used to school together JOe used to case a huge long nose of a shadow.........hehehee. You both look good together - glad your lesson went well.

The Micklem felt a bit weird at first as I felt like I was hanging on to thin air! Hard to explain but it's almost like the horse was literally just wearing a bit with reins coming off it, the rest of the bridle doesn't seem to move at all!

I've had reports from friends complaining about a 'lack of breaks' (out hacking this is!) and I agree that slowing down with the seat alone worked very well with this bridle (but then Appley is quite well trained in that respect anyway, I don't really need the reins very much at all to slow down or halt).

we're going through a bit of a phase at the moment where she is being asked to carry herself a little and give it a bit of lift and contact. due to being young and erm pony shaped she is finding this a bit of a challenge still, so we have a bit of head-shimmying whilst she sorts herself out and settles down (she doesn't do this out hacking and had her teeth done recently btw). There was def less of this with the Micklem :)

I might invest in one for schooling at some points (but really don't like the pink-looking leather!!!).

In the lesson we focussed on getting her working properly in walk and trot, including a bit of attempted 'long and low' as well. she's a bit off on the left rein at the moment, but chiro is out on Monday to sort that :)

She looks lovely, she's so dainty :D I have the same issue with reins on the Newfies, I have had to tie a knot at the end to stop them swinging down by my toes!

ps: pony riders, where have you gone?? I seem to be the only one posting here!!

Been updating my pony Diary today, fell about a month behind! Still not up to date yet because the forum keeps booting my posts!

Last edited:
It converts to bit less as well doesn't it?

I don't use a noseband so not sure how that would wok for us, I mean when she had a bit.

I forget about this section, I have a pone, though if she keeps going I will have n osse, had a word, not over 14.2hh.

I think there's a bitless option? not sure though. The noseband is similar to a drop in that it's not all that restrictive unless pony actually does anything shifty. Appley usualy goes in a fairly lose drop noseband.

She is such a lovely pony, i love seeing your posts & pics :wub:

Im a fellow pony rider...but dont usually post in this section :giggle:

He is so sweet, and looking lovely in the pics.

I wish I could ride ponies! Sadly at the moment all I would do is flatten one! unless I wore roller boots.

newrider.com