Apple chaff/ very good doer?

Sisco

Aug 5, 2008
North Yorkshire
Someone has given me some apple chaff (to help get his magnesium into him with his balancer). With Sisco on restricted grazing (muzzled when out at night and in with hay during the day) I don't want to give him any thing with added sugar. Does any one know if this has sugar in?

You would be better with hifi lite which has a low sugar coating, all the other hifi's have molasses!

It's very, very sticky and sugary. I feed the tiniest handful to my yearling each day to get his vitamins into him. I never let Dolly so much as sniff the bucket as she's had laminitis before and I'm pretty certain this could trigger it in a sensitive horse.

You would be better with hifi lite which has a low sugar coating, all the other hifi's have molasses!

I have actually swapped away from hi fi lite and down the the Good Doer.

I was dreading their reaction given it has less digestable energy in it than even the hifi lite.

I have been pleasantly surprised. The good doer stuff has mint in it to make it more palletale and my 2 go mad for it :D

Here is the page I found very useful :)

http://www.dengie.com/pages/products/alfa-a-and-hi-fi-ranges/fibre-feed-finder.php

Apple chaff is 17% sugar!!!!!!!! Dont feed it to fatties :D

I feed Good Doer too, they actually prefer it to the Hi Fi Lite.

If you have to disguise supplements then buy some Speedi-beet and feed that instead.

Speedi-beet, or D & H Kwick-beet is unmollassed sugar beet flakes. High fibre, low sugar and horses love it :D
You soak it for 10 minutes first, mine get half a scoop twice a day, makes their feed nice and wet!

newrider.com