Appaloosa questions

JaniceH

Aug 10, 2003
Cheshire, England
Visit site
Researching for my Horse Ownership Certificate, I have been stumped on something regarding Appaloosa Horses.

All the Appalloosa horses/ponies I have seen have been white background with brown or black spots, and this is a leopard spot although I realise that there are blanket, snowflake, few spot versions. The horses have all been tb type and the ponies just normal smooth haired, slender types. So my questions are:

1. I am not sure if the Appaloosa is actually a specific breed or colour and are they different to what people called Spotted horses.

2. If the Appaloosa is a colour then why do you only see tb type fine boned versions, why is there not a Appaloosa Cob type?

3. All of the Appaloosa/spotty horses at the yard I ride at are nervous flighty creatures, is this feature of their nature - like dalmations are normally scatty?

Any information would be great and I am sorry if I am completely off the mark with my questions - but that's what's great about having you lot to ask lol.

Appaloosa's are definately a breed. They were developed by the Nez Perce Native american Tribe. I have been to their museum in Idaho...:)

this is not to say that there arne't other spotted horses, but this is a specificly spotted breed, to be registered it has to have appaloosa characteristics like, a spotted coat, striped hooves, white seclera around eye, mottled muzzle, mottling around the eyes or they have to have appaloosa parents.

todays appaloosa is different from the original, they have put more quarter horse and thoroughbred blood into them than the Nez Perce did, so you will see appy's run along those lines typically. Currently the Nez Perce are trying to get a breed to call their own again and are experimenting with crosses of appy's and akhal Teke'sto get a breed that is like the original appaloosa, but with a shiny coat! and more akhal teke characteristics.

Appy's characteristics can vary, but typically the ones i have known have been steady, not so spooky as some other horses, but with enough fire that they are fun to work with. An appaloosa with more thoroughbred blood may be different. As with all horses the personality will vary from horse to horse and you can't really base what the whole breed is like just from knowing a few of the horses.

Cochise

Jun 3, 2002
Auckland, New Zealand
Will try to answer your questions Janice! Although the UK breed registry may be quite different to what we have here, but I have fair idea.
1. The appaloosa is a definite breed. Most countries have their appaloosa breed registry. In Denmark they are called the knabstrup. I am not sure about the UK spotted horse thing. Perhaps it is because to register an appaloosa you can only outbred to certain other breeds. If you have a spotted horse with traces of say draught horse or quarter horse it may not be allowed to be appaloosa registered. So these spotted horses are excluded from the app registry but not from spotted horses...(wild guess but more than likely accurate)

2. In NZ and the UK a lot of outbreeding to the TB was done. This leads to the fine boned TB type. If you look back to when the appaloosa waas nearly extinct in the 19th century the white man infused a lot of draft horse blood so that the Nez Perce could no longer fight or hunt on their beloved appaloosa horse. The breed was nearly extinct until the early 20th century when a vigorous breeding programme was resumed to refine the breed again. Nowadays the breed registries are getting tougher on what the appaloosa breeds are breed to. As for the cob type, come to NZ you will see plenty of cobby apps!
3. As for the flighty creatures...well my guy is flighty and I think I am going to pee off TB lovers here, but I purely think its the TB and arab in him that makes him flighty and not the apaloosa. The appaloosa is a strong willed character, very intelligent, handy and makes a great companion while being extrememly versatile.
Hope this helped a little more. If you need more info on the UK breed registry requirements etc, I have my UK book handy.

JaniceH

Aug 10, 2003
Cheshire, England
Visit site
Thanks for that IrisSilverMoon

One of the reasons for my questions is that I know I cant base what the whole breed is like one the basis of a couple of horses at one yard:D I just wanted to make sure my understanding of that type of horse was because I had found out the right information rather than a half-guess.

I do think they are stunning horses, they are definately the sort of horse that makes even non-horse lovers go ooooh what sort of horse is that ! I think the nearest that I will get to owning one will be a lovely black and white coloured cob! mmm not quite the same!

Lucky you to go to the museum - I bet that was just amazing.

shakari

neddy tamer
Nov 20, 2003
Yelverton,Devon
My fully papered registered appaloosa (below)
Definately no spots!!! Non spotted appaloosa's are registered as 'no-spot' you can also get 'few spot'.

Attachments

• shiokari canter2.jpg
    shiokari canter2.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 247

galadriel

Feb 27, 2002
Florida
www.lorienstable.com
Interesting. I almost never see leopard appaloosas. I see mostly blanket appys.

The most impressive apps I've ever seen were half draft; they were actually leopard, and HUGE. I mean enormous. They could have been 3/4 draft, or 7/8. One had black spots, one brown. Pretty, but I found them funny looking because they just didn't match my notions of an app.

shakari

neddy tamer
Nov 20, 2003
Yelverton,Devon
well you just went and spoiled that for me sunny d i liked being the only one with a reg. appy with no spots it confuses people. Although he's just rising 4 so he still has potentially a year or 2 to get some spots, with his dark bay colouring I doubt it somehow! Although he does have mealy eyes and a dappley belly, i can but wish..........:rolleyes:

Mehitabel

Mar 27, 2001
london/dorset
rehorses.com
cheeky is what i think of when i think of an appaloosa. i've known a few appies and partbreds,. and he has the distinctive face and head shape that i associate with the breed. a friend of mine has a no-spot registered appaloosa (he has one spot, but we think it's a spur mark from previous owners!) who is registered as 'what no spots'.

there is a breed called 'british spotted pony' and also the 'spotted saddle horse' - i did do a profile on them for the nr site but it hasn't gone up.

knabstrups are something else altogether - not the danish name for an appaloosa, they're a whole separate breed.

interesting fact - the name appaloosa commes from the palouse river, which was where the nez percé native americans mainly lived.

JaniceH

Aug 10, 2003
Cheshire, England
Visit site
All your horses are just stunning! It is so nice to see other peoples appaloosas, this is a pic of a leopard appy we have at our yard - the pic makes her look a little odd, she doesnt look as large headed in real life!

Sunny D

Trolly Dolly
Jun 12, 2003
May just as well be the Moon!
shakari - sorry to spoil it for you :D I somehow dont think that your chap will gain his spots now. Mine has mealy eyes and muzzle, she also has ONE dark spot on her throat ! I had her as a yearling and had hoped that she might have gained a spot or 2, but sadly not.

cvb

Oct 23, 2001
Scotland
pictures of my varnish roan mare on this thread

There should be info on appaloosas on either the main (US) appaloosa horse club site, or the local UK one.

There is also a 'gaited' strain which someone is trying to isolate, called "tiger" horses.

From what I've read, there were spotted horses around in Europe in 1800's (eg the Swedish King had one). Seems likely the spotted gene went to US in the Spanish horses. There are also spotted horses in Argentina.

Kaaboom

Nov 20, 2004
Wy
Visit site
The Knabstrub has the same qualities and are siilar in appearance to the appaloosa, not in lineage from the Knabstrub though.
The Appaloosa is descended from horses imported to America by the Spanish conquistadores in the 16th century. The breed was developed by the Nez Perce Indians of NW America and the name Appaloosa, is derived from the Palouse river which ran through the Indians territory. They gelded or traded unqualified appy's During the late 1800's the appaloosa was almost wiped out when the U.S army captured the Nez Perce and slaughtered nearly all of their horses. In 1938 a group of breeders revived the breed using some of the descendants of the indian horses. The Appaloosa is closely related to the American Quarter Horse both historically and genetically and both breeds reflect similar influences. The Appaloosa is characterized by it's spotted coat of which there are six acceptable configurations. Theses are known as: snowflake, leopard, frost, marble, spotted blanket, and white blanket. The basic coat color is mostly roan, apart from the leopard pattern, although any color is allowed as long as it displays one of the six spot patterns. The Appy has mottled skin around the nose, lips, and genitals, and often has white sclera round the eyes. They generally have a sparse mane and tail and the hooves tend to display black and white vertical stripes. In conformation, the Appy has a smallish head with a straight profile. They are long in the neck which is muscular and set on to a deep chest with a sloping shoulder. The withers are moderately pronounced the quarters rounded and muscular, and the back short and compact. The Appy makes an excellent riding horse, being both docile and quiet but also energetic. They have good stamina and are naturally athletic. they stand at between 14 and 15.2HH. As wrote from my book...The Encyclopedia of HORSES & PONIES.
The Knabstrup was developed in Denmark in 1808, from a spotted mare caled Flaebehoppen. Flaebehoppen was of Spanish origin and the influence of the Spanish ancestry can be seen in the Knabstrup today. Flaebehoppen was bought by Judge Lunn and taken to his Knabstrup Estate, where the breed was developed.

Kaaboom

Nov 20, 2004
Wy
Visit site
There is a guy on the John Lyons site who is getting a foal. He is a rare color, called a "few spotted Appaloosa" also called a Ghost Wind Appaloosa. Which means he is homozygous: meaning all his offspring will be colored, no matter what he is bred with. Also the Ghost Wind Appaloosa was riden by Chiefs and important people in the old days. There is also a gaited Appaloosa, although they are fighting to get them acknowledged into the show ring. The gait is called the Indian Shuffle.
It is on the general thread, under going on vacation by Mtn Mollie, page 3, his name is Teddy, his pic of the baby at day 4. A real sweetheart.

KarinUS

May 20, 2001
Texas
users.wireweb.net
knabstrups are something else altogether - not the danish name for an appaloosa, they're a whole separate breed.

I am glad you posted that. I was just going to question that remark. I remember the Knabstruppers from when I lived in Germany and they didn't seem like Appaloosas at all.
I always thought Pippi Langstrumpf had a Knabstrupper but later learned the black spots were painted on for TV- a fake! :eek:

Anyway: No help with defining Appaloosas, but can tell you all Appys I have seen have had very sparse tails. Coincidence?

cvb

Oct 23, 2001
Scotland
Appy makes an excellent riding horse, being both docile and quiet but also energetic.

Docile ??? Quiet ??? (Fi - are you LISTENING !!)
Energetic I can agree with ;) :D

I would add "affectionate" as they seem to be very people-orientated horses (massive generalisation so I wait to be shot down by folk who have known non-people appys !)

Karin - yes the sparse mane and tail is quite common tho you can see Appys with longer mane/tail. I think the gaited (Indian Shuffle) Tiger horses have more, so it may be down to "line". Or possibly down to the amount of QH in the breeding ?

Fi has the classic sparse mane and tail so has not needed mane pulling at any stage, just the odd tidying up.

Last edited: