Anyone with poor doers help please!!

5.7FB+16.2FC

FieryBrunet+FieryChestNut
My mare seems to have lost weight of late (she has had a bad leg so could be stress???) she is on 2 feeds a day(ready mash and alen and page calm and condition) she has 2large nets of a night that she doesnt finish(little left am) is out 9-6 and one net the day while she waits for tea.......................
Is there anything else i could try her on that is reasonable cost and wont sent her loopy??????........She is in light to no work at the mo

Bodybuilder - costs about 18 quid for a tub - we have a couple of horses out of racing on it that come to us in poor shape, they are looking well. Its also worked well for a jumping pony and a veteran - weight gain without hyping up. You feed a small scoop ful (in the tub) with each feed - a tub should last a month or thereabouts

Make sure you are feeding the recommended volume of C&C each day so that yuor horse is receiving a balanced diet with no deficiencies. Fussy feeders and poor doers usually thrive best on lots of small feeds, rather than 1 or 2 big ones that can be off-putting. Also make sure that she has adequate fibre in her diet and ad-lib, good quality forage (preferably hay as it tends to have a higher fibre content compared to haylage, which is best for weight gain). I highly recommend haivng a bucket of Alfa-A (a fab source of slow release energy, fibre and protein) in her stable at all times. It is fairly priced and works wonders! Regular, quality exercise will also help to develop the correct muscle tone.
I also highly recommend that you feed a digestive enhancer (prebiotic, probiotic of live yeast culture) such as Dengie Yea-Sacc, XP Triple Action or NAF Pink Powder (which is also a feed balancer) as this will maximise the efficiency of your horse's digestion and the utilisation of the nutrients in his diet, for maximum effect.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you're still unsure :)

Last edited:
i got recommended naf pink powder and alfa a oil, i also have been told that alfa-a make the goo loopey but not sure.

alfa-a oil + pink pwder are going great for me Oh and baileys #4 - conditioning cubes work a treat!

(my mare is a tb thus a poor doer)

Skyla was a poor doer over winter and I started feeding her seaweed..... not sure if it worked but made me feel better :rolleyes:

Funny you should mention splitting the feeds, i split it into 3 today. Will buy a bag of alfa-a and leave some with her and also try the barley rings. I hadnt thought of putting her on pink powder will giver her a whirl on that too got it for my other boy.
She will be slowly brought back into work now vet has given the ok for in hand work and also lunge work:D
Thanx for the advise much appritiated:)

saying about seeweed, i was talking to simple systems last week, they recommended seeweed for a poor doer.

are there any feeds with things like seeweed in them??? olny ask as she would be having,garlic,biotin,hoof powder plus,pink powder and seeweed added to her feeds :eek:

That would be providing her with the amount of some nutrients several times over - which can be dangerous! Does she really need all of those?

x

she needs the hoof stuff thats all she is on at the mo.......but then if i added other recomended sups from above thats what i would end up with........not really a big supps fan would rather buy a complete(ish) feed hence the question is there a feed to contain most of what she needs without adding in allsorts......
p.s yes she is my 1st poor doer last 3 have been good doers or just chaff and mix:rolleyes:

Try a cup of vegetable oil in her feed; gives calories without the fizz or changing any other aspects of her diet. Teeth ok? not quidding? worming up to date? Might also be worth bloods being taken just to check there's no underlying cause once you've tackled the feed aspect.

It's also been cool at night for the time of year, and much as I hate to say it, if she's a poor do-er perhaps a rug (or increasing what you already have) will eliminate calories loss. Believe it or not it's harder to GAIN weight that it is to LOSE it!

Exact same as portia!!!

I add rapeseed or corn oil to Kias feed every winter and he kept the weight on enought ot do practically a whole winter out and I add it when we are doing a lot of work in the summer to add calories but no fizz!!!

Nikki xxxx

I def would be simplifying the hoof related stuff, I replaced all of them with Dengie Healthy Hooves its got biotin and garlic and mint in it and has done just as good a job as Farriers Formula but way cheaper. Would also add pink powder for the tum and oil or conditioning cubes for the weight gain. I would echo the haylage rather than hay, and would have a big bucket of hifi or alfa a available.

Have you thought that your mare might be suffering with ulcers? The fact that she has had possbile stress with her leg, it could point to that! Check out Gastro Plus.

newrider.com