Anyone with a Cushings horse? Tell me what you know

Gillydaydream

Sep 16, 2009
West Yorkshire
Ginger has just tested positive for Cushings.

I am a little shocked to say the least. Over the years he has become more and more sensitive to the grass, and although he hasn't had an attack of lami for 4 years, he is showing the warning signs at the drop of a hat and it's only very careful management that stops him tipping over the edge.
I have suspected for a while that there was something more going on, but my gut feeling was EMS rather than Cushings, but I got a voucher for a test so thought we might as well check to be on the safe side.

I am gutted, and at the same time relieved that we have a diagnosis.

Only trouble is, because I thought it was more likely to be EMS, I've done all my research on that and know very little about Cushings!

Vet is starting him on Prascend straight away and he'll be retested in a month to see how he is doing on that dosage.

How old is he and what symtoms does he show? Only interested because my young mare is grass sensitive although has never had lami as im on top of the grazing. Shes only 6 but is holding onto the hair on her legs, swollen above the eyes.

I was told that all overweight horse had EMS and that most horses over 15 years were cushingoid. Also that most laminitics were cushingoid too.

Would love to hear from folk on here dealing with the illness as i suspect that even if mine tested negative there is a strong chance she would be susceptable in the future.

Are the drugs hes on life long?

I refused to have Wallace bloodtested. His mood changes are fast and nasty. He has bladder issues, he keeps his coat. Hes 19. Vet says all most definatly yes. He has 3mls of liquid agnus castus a day. It helps a lot.

Just lost my boy he was 24, vet thinks not cushings related.

I was very lucky with my boy, only sensitive to grass in the autumn, so on hay start of october to end of november.
I fed fast fibre, linseed. maguesium, salt, and brewers yeast.
He always shed his coat, only difference in him really was he was a little sensitive to touch, so grooming could be a little stressful for him for the first few minutes.

So it isn't always as bad as you think :smile:

How old is he and what symtoms does he show? Only interested because my young mare is grass sensitive although has never had lami as im on top of the grazing. Shes only 6 but is holding onto the hair on her legs, swollen above the eyes.

I was told that all overweight horse had EMS and that most horses over 15 years were cushingoid. Also that most laminitics were cushingoid too.

Would love to hear from folk on here dealing with the illness as i suspect that even if mine tested negative there is a strong chance she would be susceptable in the future.

Are the drugs hes on life long?

He is 13, so still young for Cushings. The only symptoms he shows are his sensitivity to grass, and he does hang onto his winter coat late.

I think it's true that many laminitics have something more going on than just lami, either cushings or ems, but not sure about "all overweight horses have ems and most horses over 15 are cushingoid". I don't know enough about cushings to comment on that but I know many overweight horses who have lived a long and happy life without any symptoms of ems.

He will be on the medication for life, yes.

He is already on a strictly managed diet- in during the day on soaked hay, out overnight and muzzled. He has Top Spec Anti Lam, and a bit of speedi beet to hide his supplements (magnesium and a respiratory supplement). Not sure if there is anything I can do to improve this for him to reduce the sugars in his diet.

I recently had Rhia tested - which was negative- to my surprise. I found out Top Spec anti lam was causing her all kinds of problems and since changing she is loads better. It has been known to cause footiness, so might be worth looking into. Heard good things about Agnus Castus but haven't read anything much about Cushings for years.

Good luck with his management. A friend has a pony with Cushings, think she is 30 now :)

My two don't have cushings (have been blood tested negative) or insulin resistance (again tested negative) but i do give them agnus cactus each day as i think it does help (and it's the same thing in rig calm too which harvey has for other reasons!)

I don't think all horses with laminitis have cushings or IR though. Ellie looks like a classic case - but was negative.

I do have some pergolide tablets though if anyone wants to pm me to buy them as I don't need them but were sold some by a livery who had them left over from her horse who she sold when I thought ellie might need them

My Shetland has had cushings for about eight years. He Is on agnus castus, but the powder form. It keeps better in the summer. He is also on a strict feeding programme. There are several websites that can give lots of information. The best one I think is called equinecushingsandinsulinresistance.com It is from the USA & all the info is based on research.

newrider.com